1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transitive Set Question

1. Apr 28, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

a) Consider the relation S de fiend on the set {t : t is a person} such that xSy holds exactly if
    person x is taller than y. Determine if the relation S is reflexive, symmetric and transitive.
    Is the relation S an equivalence relation?

2. Relevant equations
    Recall that a relation R de ned on a set A is reflexive if for all x 2 A xRx.
    Recall that a relation R de ned on a set A is symmetric if for all x 2 A and y 2 A the xRy implies
    yRx.
    Recall that a relation R e ned on a set A is transitive if for all x; y; z in A, both xRy and yRz
    holds, then xRz holds as well.
    Finally recall that a relation R is an equivalence relation if its reflexive, symmetric and transitive.

3. The attempt at a solution

As far as i can see the set is not symmetric or reflexive but i'm not 100% on transitive...
    It would be transitive if x > y and y > z then x > z holds...but we aren't given any information on y > z?

So would this set be transitive?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2014 #2

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Yes the relationship is not symmetric or reflexive, but it IS transitive.

If ##xRy## holds, then ##x > y##, if ##yRz## holds, then ##y > z##. So person ##x## is taller than person ##y## and person ##y## is taller than person ##z##.

It must be the case that person ##x## must be taller than person ##z##.

4. Apr 28, 2014 #3
    Yes, i agree with what you said...but the question does not mention that y > z

5. Apr 28, 2014 #4

Zondrina

Homework Helper

According to your definition (with some slight corrections):

Notice I added the word 'if'. If you assume they hold, does the conclusion still hold?

6. Apr 28, 2014 #5
    Yeah then it holds. The definition is provided as part of the information the exam question but i'll just assume it in the exam as well. Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted