Disproving Regularity with Transitivity of Sets

• Thread starter sunmaz94
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Element
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of set inclusion and set membership, specifically in relation to the ZFC axioms. The main question is how to prove that if A is an element of B, B is an element of C, and C is an element of A, then C is also an element of C. The participants suggest using the axiom of regularity to show that this is a contradiction, but it is ultimately pointed out that inclusion is not transitive, so this does not necessarily follow. The conversation ends with the suggestion to simplify the problem and consider the case where A is an element of B and B is an element of A, which may violate regularity.
sunmaz94

Homework Statement

Let A, B, and C be sets. Assume the standard ZFC axioms.

Please see below for my updated question.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
A ε B means the set A is a element of the set B, right? That's not the same thing as A being a subset of B. You have sets that are elements of other sets. Try to construct a counterexample.

That's what I was afraid of. How then can I show that if A ε B and B ε C and C ε A, that C ε C (yields the contradiction I require).

Pick A={a}. Pick B={A}={{a}}. So A ε B. Correct so far? Pick C={B}={{{a}}}. So B ε C. Is A ε C?? This is a little tricky. a is not equal to the set consisting of a.

Dick said:
Pick A={a}. Pick B={A}={{a}}. So A ε B. Correct so far? Pick C={B}={{{a}}}. So B ε C. Is A ε C?? This is a little tricky. a is not equal to the set consisting of a.

Yes I understand this. But how does the chain of set inclusions I mention lead to the fact that C ε C?

(Thanks for all your help!)

sunmaz94 said:
Yes I understand this. But how does the chain of set inclusions I mention lead to the fact that C ε C?

(Thanks for all your help!)

You seem to have deleted the question. I thought I suggested you try to prove that A ε B and B ε C doesn't necessarily imply A ε C? Since inclusion is not transitive?

Dick said:
You seem to have deleted the question. I thought I suggested you try to prove that A ε B and B ε C doesn't necessarily imply A ε C? Since inclusion is not transitive?

I agree. I am now asking modified question: How then can I show that if A ε B and B ε C and C ε A, that C ε C (yields the contradiction I require).

Apologies for the confusion.

sunmaz94 said:
I agree. I am now asking modified question: How then can I show that if A ε B and B ε C and C ε A, that C ε C (yields the contradiction I require).

Apologies for the confusion.

I think you are reaching way too far for a contradiction. C ε C puts you squarely in Bertrand-Russell paradox territory. A simple example of A ε B and B ε C with simple sets and A not an element of C will serve nicely. I basically gave you one. Follow it up. It shows inclusion isn't transitive. That's all you need.

Dick said:
I think you are reaching way too far for a contradiction. C ε C puts you squarely in Bertrand-Russell paradox territory. A simple example of A ε B and B ε C with simple sets and A not an element of C will serve nicely. I basically gave you one. Follow it up.

This is a separate question. I absolutely want to be in such territory. I need to show that the aforementioned set inclusions yield C ε C and then I can invoke the axiom of regularity/foundation to show it is a contradiction.

sunmaz94 said:
This is a separate question. I absolutely want to be in such territory. I need to show that the aforementioned set inclusions yield C ε C and then I can invoke the axiom of regularity/foundation to show it is a contradiction.

I don't think so. Inclusion ISN'T transitive. You can't say A ε B and B ε C implies A ε C. At all.

Dick said:
I don't think so. Inclusion ISN'T transitive. You can't say A ε B and B ε C implies A ε C. At all.

Hmm...

Then how do I go about using the axiom of regularity to prove that no set membership loops like that I described exist?

sunmaz94 said:
Hmm...

Then how do I go about using the axiom of regularity to prove that no set membership loops like that I described exist?

C ε C violates regularity. But the statement C ε C doesn't follow from anything you've said before because inclusion isn't transitive.

Dick said:
C ε C already violates regularity. The statement C ε C doesn't follow from anything you've said before because inclusion isn't transitive.

Yes but I want to show that A ε B and B ε C and C ε A violates regularity.

sunmaz94 said:
Yes but I want to show that A ε B and B ε C and C ε A violates regularity.

Mmm. I'm not all that hot with set axiomatics. But you can simplify that. Suppose A ε B and B ε A, can you show that violates regularity?? Like I say, I don't have ZFC axioms at my fingertips.

Dick said:
Mmm. I'm not all that hot with set axiomatics. But you can simplify that. Suppose A ε B and B ε A, can you show that violates regularity?? Like I say, I don't have ZFC axioms at my fingertips.

Then I can, but that doesn't help me.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axiom_of_regularity

It states:

Every non-empty set A contains an element B which is disjoint from A.

I appreciate all of your help.

What is the transitivity of an element?

The transitivity of an element refers to its ability to be inherited or passed down through a series of related elements or objects. In other words, if element A is transitive, then any element that is related to element A will also possess the same properties or qualities.

How is the transitivity of an element determined?

The transitivity of an element can be determined by examining its relationships with other elements. If an element has a clear pattern of inheritance or transfer of properties to related elements, then it can be considered transitive.

What is an example of a transitive element?

An example of a transitive element is the chemical element Carbon. Carbon has the ability to form bonds with many other elements, such as hydrogen, oxygen, and nitrogen. These bonds are transitive, meaning the properties of carbon are transferred to the bonded elements, resulting in new compounds with similar qualities.

Can an element be partially transitive?

Yes, an element can exhibit partial transitivity. This means that the element may have some relationships where its properties are transferred, but not all. This can be seen in elements with multiple oxidation states, where the properties may differ depending on the elements it is bonded to.

How does the transitivity of an element impact scientific research?

The transitivity of an element is an important concept in scientific research, particularly in fields such as chemistry and biology. Understanding the transitivity of an element allows scientists to predict and analyze the properties of related elements and compounds, aiding in the development of new materials and medicines.