1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transitivity of Element of

1. Sep 26, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let A, B, and C be sets. Assume the standard ZFC axioms.

Please see below for my updated question.

Thanks.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A ε B means the set A is a element of the set B, right? That's not the same thing as A being a subset of B. You have sets that are elements of other sets. Try to construct a counterexample.

4. Sep 26, 2012 #3
    That's what I was afraid of. How then can I show that if A ε B and B ε C and C ε A, that C ε C (yields the contradiction I require).

5. Sep 26, 2012 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Pick A={a}. Pick B={A}={{a}}. So A ε B. Correct so far? Pick C={B}={{{a}}}. So B ε C. Is A ε C?? This is a little tricky. a is not equal to the set consisting of a.

6. Sep 26, 2012 #5
    Yes I understand this. But how does the chain of set inclusions I mention lead to the fact that C ε C?

(Thanks for all your help!)

7. Sep 26, 2012 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You seem to have deleted the question. I thought I suggested you try to prove that A ε B and B ε C doesn't necessarily imply A ε C? Since inclusion is not transitive?

8. Sep 26, 2012 #7
    I agree. I am now asking modified question: How then can I show that if A ε B and B ε C and C ε A, that C ε C (yields the contradiction I require).

Apologies for the confusion.

9. Sep 26, 2012 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think you are reaching way too far for a contradiction. C ε C puts you squarely in Bertrand-Russell paradox territory. A simple example of A ε B and B ε C with simple sets and A not an element of C will serve nicely. I basically gave you one. Follow it up. It shows inclusion isn't transitive. That's all you need.

10. Sep 26, 2012 #9
    This is a separate question. I absolutely want to be in such territory. I need to show that the aforementioned set inclusions yield C ε C and then I can invoke the axiom of regularity/foundation to show it is a contradiction.

11. Sep 26, 2012 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't think so. Inclusion ISN'T transitive. You can't say A ε B and B ε C implies A ε C. At all.

12. Sep 26, 2012 #11
    Hmm....

Then how do I go about using the axiom of regularity to prove that no set membership loops like that I described exist?

13. Sep 26, 2012 #12

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

C ε C violates regularity. But the statement C ε C doesn't follow from anything you've said before because inclusion isn't transitive.

14. Sep 26, 2012 #13
    Yes but I want to show that A ε B and B ε C and C ε A violates regularity.

15. Sep 26, 2012 #14

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Mmm. I'm not all that hot with set axiomatics. But you can simplify that. Suppose A ε B and B ε A, can you show that violates regularity?? Like I say, I don't have ZFC axioms at my fingertips.

16. Sep 26, 2012 #15
    Then I can, but that doesn't help me.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axiom_of_regularity

It states:

Every non-empty set A contains an element B which is disjoint from A.

I appreciate all of your help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook