Translating points on the axes

In summary, the author is trying to translate a linear worm profile into a curved one for use in a calculation process. They've found an alternative method to calculate the rotation angle β and they've also been able to improve the accuracy of the existing code by using arctan.
RichardWattUK
TL;DR Summary
I need to translate points on coordinate axes as part of a calculation process
Summary: I need to translate points on coordinate axes as part of a calculation process

Hello everyone,

I've created the diagram below to try and explain what I am trying to do as part of an existing software app that's used to generate profiles and programs to drive a CNC machine to grind worm gears.

The worm profile is translated by rotating point "A" (which is on a linear profile) in the diagram below to point "B" (which is on a curved profile more like how it will be when ground by the machine), and this curved profile is later used for some other stages in the calculation process.
Points Diagram.png
The angles θA and θB represent the angle between the X axis and the outward normal vector from points A and B respectively.

There's an existing routine that uses the Newton-Raphson method to find a rotation angle β to perform this translation and is given the following values:
  • Point A (xA, yA, θA)
  • Lead measurement (in mm)
  • Projection angle (γA)
  • Starting values
  • Point B (xB, yB, θB)
The routine calculates a lead angle for point A (αA): αA=tan-1 (Lead/(2π⋅yA)), where "Lead" is the worm lead measurement.

This routine uses a Newton-Raphson loop to find a value of β that satisfies: C1 ⋅ cos β + C2 ⋅ sin β - C3 = 0 and doesn't always find a solution for all possible combinations of parameters provided by the user.

The values of C1, C2 and C3 are known before starting the iteration by calculating the following:

CA = cos αA
SA = sin αA
CG = cos γA
SG = sin γA
CT = -cos θA
ST = sin θA

C1 = SA ⋅ CG ⋅ CT
C2 = CA ⋅ CG ⋅ ST
C3 = CA ⋅ SG ⋅ CT

I've found an alternative method to calculate β by solving C1 ⋅ cos β + C2 ⋅ sin β = C3 based on the information in this Quora article.

Once I've got a value for φ from this, I use the following to work out the value of β:

φ = sin-1 (C1 / √(C12 + C22))
If |C3 / (C12 + C22)| Then
β = sin-1 (C3 / (C12 + C22)) - φ
Else
β = tan-1 (C2 / C1) - φ
End If
SB = sin β
CB = cos β

The coordinates of point B are then calculated from:

xB = β ⋅ Lead / 2π + xA
yB = yA ⋅cos β
θB = tan-1 ((-CA ⋅ CT) / (CA ⋅ CB ⋅ CG ⋅ ST - SA ⋅ SB ⋅ CG ⋅ -CT)) ⋅ (180 / π)

My question is: can anyone see a better way of doing this and/or any improvements that I can make to this method?

Physics news on Phys.org
To improve your chances for a reply: Could you just summarize in a list, which values you know, and which you want to calculate? This would make things a lot easier to read (in combination with your picture).

Likes jedishrfu
I already know the following values:
  • Point A (xA, yA, θA)
  • Lead measurement (in mm)
  • Projection angle (γA)
  • Lead angle (αA)
  • Sines and cosines of angles θA, γA and αA
  • Coefficients C1, C2, C3
I'm trying to calculate the following values:
  • β from solving C1 ⋅ cos β + C2 ⋅ sin β = C3
  • Point B (xB, yB, θB)
Following on from the Quora article, I've been able to solve the equation to get the value of β and get this to work within 0.0001 of the value returned from the existing code that uses the Newton-Raphson method.

I've also been able to work out how to calculate β when ##Abs(C3\div\sqrt{C1^2+C2^2})>1## by using arctan with the appropriate values (I'll update the thread with the equation as I've left the notes at work and I'm typing this at home).

1. What is the purpose of translating points on the axes?

Translating points on the axes is used to move a graph or set of points to a different location on the coordinate plane. This can be helpful in visualizing data or finding the relationship between two variables.

2. How do you translate points on the axes?

To translate points on the axes, you need to add or subtract a constant value to each coordinate of the point. For example, if you want to move a point (2,3) two units to the right and three units up, the translated point would be (4,6).

3. Can translating points on the axes change the shape of a graph?

No, translating points on the axes does not change the shape of a graph. It only changes the position of the graph on the coordinate plane.

4. What is the difference between translating points on the x-axis and y-axis?

Translating points on the x-axis involves only adding or subtracting a constant value to the x-coordinate, while translating points on the y-axis involves only adding or subtracting a constant value to the y-coordinate. This results in a horizontal or vertical movement of the graph, respectively.

5. Can you translate points on the axes using negative values?

Yes, you can translate points on the axes using negative values. This will result in a movement in the opposite direction of the positive value. For example, if you want to move a point (2,3) two units to the left and three units down, the translated point would be (0,0).