1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Translating Statements

1. Jul 5, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Express each of these mathematical statements using predicates, quantifiers, logical connectives, and mathematical operators.

c) Every positive real number has exactly two square roots.

d) A negative real number does not have a square root that is a real number.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

For part c), the answer in the textbook is, [itex]\forall x \exists a \exists b(a ≠ b \wedge \exists c(c² = x ↔ (c = a \vee c = b)))[/itex] my answer is, [itex]\forall x \exists y \exists z [((x > 0) \wedge (a \ne b)) \implies ((\sqrt{x} = y) \wedge (\sqrt{x} = z))][/itex]

For part d), the answer in the textbook is, [itex]\forall x ((x < 0) \implies \neg \exists y (x = y^2))[/itex]; my answer is, [itex]\forall x[(x < 0) \implies (\sqrt{x} \notin \mathbb{R})[/itex]

I was wondering, are my answers as valid as the ones provided in the textbook?

Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 5, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Your answer to (c) introduces y and z, but uses a and b afterwards?
    You cannot use the square root symbol here - it is a function with only one value (the positive root). It cannot be a AND b at the same time, as you want a!=b.
    You probably don't want the effect of "=>" in your formula. It is satisfied even if both sides are wrong (with a=b, for example), so it does not make any statement about the existence of roots at all.

For (d): You cannot write ##\sqrt{x}## if you don't know if that is defined at all. With complex numbers, that is possible, but even then you need a definition of the square root function first.

The short answer: No.

4. Jul 5, 2013 #3
    Okay, well I understand the textbook's answer for part d); however, I am having a little more difficulty with part c). My question is, where does it answer specify that x is positive? And to be clear, a and b are the two roots that are mentioned in the original statement?

5. Jul 5, 2013 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

That is the magic of "<=>". For negative x, there is no such c, both sides are false and the equality holds. I would write ##\forall x \in \mathbb{R}^+##, however.

##\in \mathbb{R}## for all symbols is missing.

6. Jul 5, 2013 #5

verty

Homework Helper

I think it has been assumed that all variables range over the real numbers. For this reason, (d) is incorrect as it assumes the square root of x is real for any candidate x.

I didn't notice that the book's answer for (c) is wrong. I don't particularly like the book's answer anyhow. I think I would use this logic: x has two distinct roots and any third root is non-distinct.

Bashyboy: see if you can translate my statement.

7. Jul 5, 2013 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I can't make much sense of that. Are you sure you've copied this correctly?

8. Jul 8, 2013 #7
    Haruspex, that is actually copied-and-pasted from my electronic textbook, so there can't possible exist any error in transcribing.

9. Jul 8, 2013 #8

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Well, it's wrong. It should be [itex]\forall x \exists a \exists b(a ≠ b \wedge \forall c(c² = x ↔ (c = a \vee c = b)))[/itex]. Note the ##\forall c##.

10. Jul 8, 2013 #9
    Ah, yes, that is in fact more comprehensible.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted