Understanding the Translational Operator and Its Applications

In summary: So, the translation operator can be expanded into a Taylor series, where each term is evaluated at some fixed point x_0. This allows us to use the translation operator to translate a function value at x to x_0 + α. This is useful in applications where small translations are needed, such as in physics and engineering.
matematikuvol
[tex]e^{\alpha\frac{d}{dx}}=1+\alpha\frac{d}{dx}+\frac{\alpha^2}{2!}\frac{d^2}{dx^2}+...=\sum^{\infty}_{n=0}\frac{\alpha^n}{n!}\frac{d^n}{dx^n}[/tex]
Why this is translational operator?
##e^{\alpha\frac{d}{dx}}f(x)=f(x+\alpha)##

Physics news on Phys.org
taylor expansion? :wink:

Consider alpha to be an infinitesimal translation. Expand [itex]f(x+\alpha )[/itex] for small [itex]\alpha[/itex] to first order.

Do the same for the LHS of the equation and you should see that the equality is true for infinitesimal translations. We say that the operator [itex]\frac{d}{dx}[/itex] (technically [itex]\frac{d}{idx}[/itex]) is the 'generator' of the translation.

EDIT: Beaten to the punch by TT!

I have a problem with that. So
[tex]f(x+\alpha)=f(x)+\alpha f'(x)+...[/tex]
My problem is that we have ##\frac{df}{dx}## and that isn't value in some fixed point ##x##. This is the value in some fixed point ##(\frac{df}{dx})_{x_0}##.

matematikuvol said:
My problem is that we have ##\frac{df}{dx}## and that isn't value in some fixed point ##x##. This is the value in some fixed point ##(\frac{df}{dx})_{x_0}##.

I am not sure about your question. But that translation operator is a generic operator, which translate a function value at x to x+a.

In Taylor series x is fixed, while in ##\frac{df}{dx}## ##x## isn't fixed. Well you suppose that is.

matematikuvol said:

yes, but x here is a constant, and only α is the variable

if you prefer, write f(xo + α) = f(xo) + α∂f/∂x|xo + … :wink:

tiny-tim said:
yes, but x here is a constant, and only α is the variable

if you prefer, write f(xo + α) = f(xo) + α∂f/∂x|xo + … :wink:

Ok but that is equal to
[tex]\sum^{\infty}_{n=0}\frac{\alpha^n}{n!}(\frac{df}{dx})_{x_0}[/tex]
and how to expand now
[tex]e^{\alpha\frac{d}{dx}}[/tex]

no, it's [itex]\sum^{\infty}_{n=0}\frac{\alpha^n}{n!}\left(\frac{d^nf}{dx^n}\right)_{x_0}[/itex] :wink:

I made a mistake. But I'm asking when you get that ##(\frac{d^n}{dx^n})_{x_0}##? Please answer my question if you know. In
[tex]e^{\alpha\frac{d}{dx}}=1+\alpha\frac{d}{dx}+\frac{\alpha^2}{2!}\frac{d^2}{dx^2}+...[/tex]
you never have ##x_0##.

[tex]\left(e^{\alpha\frac{d}{dx}}(f(x))\right)_{x_o}[/tex]
[tex]= \left(\left(1+\alpha\frac{d}{dx}+\frac{\alpha^2}{2!}\frac{d^2}{dx^2}+...\right)(f(x))\right)_{x_o}[/tex]
[tex]= \sum^{\infty}_{n=0}\frac{\alpha^n}{n!}\left(\frac{d^nf}{dx^n}\right)_{x_0}[/tex]

1. What is a translation operator?

A translation operator is a mathematical tool used in linear algebra and geometry to move an object or system of coordinates in space. It is typically represented by the letter T and is used to describe the movement of an object in terms of translation vectors.

2. How does a translation operator work?

A translation operator works by applying a transformation to a set of coordinates, moving them a certain distance and direction in space. This transformation is typically represented by a translation vector, which specifies the amount and direction of the movement.

3. What is the difference between a translation operator and a rotation operator?

A translation operator moves an object or set of coordinates in space, while a rotation operator rotates them around a fixed point. Translation and rotation operators are both examples of linear transformations, but they operate in different ways and have different effects on the object or coordinates.

4. How is a translation operator used in computer graphics?

In computer graphics, a translation operator is used to move and manipulate objects in a virtual 3D space. By applying a series of translation operators, programmers can create complex movements and animations in video games, movies, and other digital media.

5. Can a translation operator be applied to non-Euclidean geometries?

Yes, a translation operator can be applied to any type of geometry, including non-Euclidean geometries such as spherical or hyperbolic geometries. In these cases, the translation vector may look different, but the basic principles of translation still apply.