1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Translational/applied forces

1. Feb 24, 2014 #1
    Let’s say I have a horizontal rod whose total length = ΔXtotal = 5 inches. However, the rod is made up of two pieces (ΔXshaft = 4 inches and ΔXbase = 1 inch) that are welded together, where ΔXtotal = ΔXshaft + ΔXbase and where ΔXshaft > ΔXbase. This rod is horizontally suspended in air by locking mechanisms placed at each end of the total length of the rod.

I want to use a force gauge to bend the shaft at a certain point so that the weld that joins ΔXshaft and ΔXbase breaks. For example, let’s say the weld breaks when I apply 25 pounds to a point on the shaft 1 inch away from the weld (so 5-1=4 inches from the secured end of the shaft).

How much force was applied to the weld and how much force was translated in bending the shaft? I would like to see the applicable equations so I can replicate this process with variable data.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A rod is fixed at points A and B.
    Point A is at x=0, B is at x=+5"
    The base is in 0<x<1"
    The shaft is between 1"<x<5"

Let the y direction be "upwards".
    If you apply a force F in the -y direction at x=1" away from the base - then the force is pllied at position x=2" or 3" from point B which is the secured end of the shaft.

The exact relations depends on how you want to model the rod.
    Back-of envelope - treat the rod and base as rigid and use the lever equations.
    Point B is the pivot and the shaft is the lever. The weld position is where you want the effective force.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook