1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Translational Kinetic Energy

1. Dec 9, 2009 #1
    1.Find the total translational kinetic energy of 0.5 L of oxygen gas held at a temperature of 0°C and a pressure of 1.3 atm.

R = 8.314

PV=nRT
    PV=NkT

K=(.5*m*v^2)

Translational Kinetic Energy = T=(2/3)(1/k)[(.5)mv^2]

The problem says to express the total translational kinetic energy of the oxygen gas by combining the expression for the translational kinetic energy and the ideal-gas law to obtain an expression for K in terms of the pressure and volume of the gas.
    I tried subsitituting T= PV/nR to T=(2/3)(1/k)[(.5)mv^2] but I am not sure if I am on the right track.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2009 #2
    You can use PV = nRT to find the mols of oxygen gas you have. Then, you can use the translational kinetic energy equation for gasses, K = (3/2)nRT, to find K.

4. Dec 9, 2009 #3
    Oh. So i need to find the moles using the ideal gas law then plug it in to the K equation. I was over thinking the whole problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook