Translational motion problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the average vertical velocity for a particle moving along a half-circle path with a constant speed of 5 pi m/s. The unknowns in the problem are t, Vavg, and Vf, and the equations used are speed=distance/time, circumference=2 pi r, V avg= Vi + Vf/2, Vf=x/t, and V avg= displacement/time. After some initial confusion about which definition of average velocity to use, it is determined that the correct answer is 10 m/s, with the average velocity being different at 14.14 m/s at a 45 degree angle with the horizontal.
ortegavs

Homework Statement

A particle moving from position 1 to position 2 moves along path C ( which is half a circle ). It travels at a constant speed of 5 pi m/s. At exactly half way ( 1/4 of a circle ) through the trip its average vertical velocity is? Radius is 5 meters.

Homework Equations

speed=distance/time
circumference=2 pi r
V avg= Vi + Vf/2
Vf=x/t

Unknowns t, Vavg, Vf

The Attempt at a Solution

I assumed that Vi is zero which simplifies my kinematic equation to V avg=Vf/2. I then substituted x/t for Vf to get Vavg=x/2t. I solved for t using the speed equation. t= distance/speed and then distance=πr/2=π5/2 and speed is 5π. The 5π cancels and the equation simplified to t=1/2s I then plugged in my value for t into the kinematic equation which gives x/2t=x/2/2 since x=5 then 5/2/2 and this gives you 5 m/s. The answer given is 10 m/s but this answer is the final velocity not the average. Am I right about this or does the book have right? The only thing that bothers me is that I set Vi to zero but the question says constant speed meaning that Vi and Vf should be the same that is 5π m/s at the beginning and at the end. Still the answer would not be 10 m/s.

Physics news on Phys.org
The book answer is correct, assuming points A and B lie on a horizontal axis (you didn't show a picture). You must first look at the definition of average vertical velocity. Average vertical velocity between 2 points is defined as total vertical displacement between those points divided by total elapsed time during that displacement. What is the total vertical displacement after it has traveled the 1/4 circle arc? What time has elapsed?

Jay

Points A and B do lie on a horiz. axis. The definition of average V is vi +vf/2. I don't understand why I can't use this definition? And if you use to points A and B you have to divide by two I don't understand. So with the your definition V avg= xf-xi/t which is 5/1/2 and this equal to 10 m/s which is the book answer. How do you know which definition to use?

Ok I think I got it. Since the object is moving in a circle then it is constantly changing its direction thus its acceleration is not constant as I had assumed. Given this I cannot use kinematic equation V avg = Vf+Vi/2 since this equation requires constant a. Thus I have to us the other definition provide by Jay V avg= displacement/time

Finally it makes sense

ortegavs said:
Ok I think I got it. Since the object is moving in a circle then it is constantly changing its direction thus its acceleration is not constant as I had assumed. Given this I cannot use kinematic equation V avg = Vf+Vi/2 since this equation requires constant a. Thus I have to us the other definition provide by Jay V avg= displacement/time

Finally it makes sense
Yes, that is correct, nice work. Both definitions of average velocity are the same only when acceleration is constant. Note, however , that the result of 10 m/s is the average vertical velocity (in the y direction), which is vertical displacement/time, which is what the problem asked, and which is therefore correct. I want to point out, however, that the average velocity would be different. The total displacement, d, would be (R)(sq rt 2) = 5(1.414) = 7.07 m, and the average velocity would be d/t = (7.07)/(1/2) = 14.14 m/s at an angle of 45 degrees with the horizontal. The reader should fully understand this before proceeding any further:wink:

What is translational motion?

Translational motion is the movement of an object from one point to another in a straight line without any rotation or change in orientation.

What is a translational motion problem?

A translational motion problem is a physics problem that involves analyzing the motion of an object in a straight line, taking into account factors such as distance, time, velocity, and acceleration.

What is the difference between translational and rotational motion?

The main difference between translational and rotational motion is the path of movement. Translational motion involves movement in a straight line, while rotational motion involves movement around an axis or center point.

How do you calculate velocity in a translational motion problem?

Velocity in a translational motion problem can be calculated by dividing the change in displacement by the change in time. This can also be represented as v = Δx/Δt, where v is velocity, Δx is change in displacement, and Δt is change in time.

What are some real-world applications of translational motion?

Translational motion is utilized in a variety of real-world applications, such as calculating the movement of vehicles, analyzing the trajectory of projectiles, and understanding the motion of particles in fluids. It is also used in sports, such as analyzing the speed and distance of a baseball pitch or the trajectory of a golf ball.