Translations in polar coordinates

AnneIn summary, to move a semi-circle beyond the origin, you can use the formula r = -2*(a*cos(t) +b*sin(t)) + c, where c represents the distance you want to move the circle. Make sure to use the correct variables for the formula in your program.
waycoo
Hi, I'd like to describe what I need to do visually:
th_exampple.jpg
In other words, I just need to translate my semi-circle (which is actually just a large circle in limited viewspace) so that it moves beyond the origin. Right now I'm using the standard formula for a circle centered at a distance r from the origin. r = -2*(a*cos(t) +b*sin(t))

Any help?

I've tried using the formula given in the last post on this page:
http://math.stackexchange.com/quest...sian-coordinate-polar-equation-and-back-again

but when I plug it into my python program, the translation gives a function which looks nothing like a circle. I'm thinking I might be entering the variables wrong.Thanks in advance,
Greg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello Greg,

To visually describe your problem, imagine a coordinate system with the origin at the center. The semi-circle is represented as a large circle with its center at a distance r from the origin. The formula you are using, r = -2*(a*cos(t) +b*sin(t)), represents a circle with a radius of r and its center at (a,b).

To move this circle beyond the origin, you can use the formula r = -2*(a*cos(t) +b*sin(t)) + c, where c represents the distance you want to move the circle. This will shift the entire circle by c units in the desired direction.

In terms of your python program, make sure you are using the correct variables for the formula. The variable a represents the horizontal distance from the origin, while b represents the vertical distance. The variable c represents the distance you want to move the circle.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck with your project!

What is the definition of translations in polar coordinates?

Translations in polar coordinates refer to the process of moving a point or an object in the polar coordinate system by a specific distance and angle.

What is the formula for translating a point in polar coordinates?

The formula for translating a point (r, θ) in polar coordinates is (r + a, θ + α), where a is the distance and α is the angle of translation.

How do you graph a translated point in polar coordinates?

To graph a translated point (r + a, θ + α) in polar coordinates, start at the original point (r, θ) and move a units in the direction of α. Then, draw a line connecting the two points to represent the translation.

What is the difference between a translation and a rotation in polar coordinates?

A translation in polar coordinates involves moving a point or an object by a specific distance and angle, while a rotation involves rotating the point or object by a certain angle around the origin.

How are translations in polar coordinates used in real life?

Translations in polar coordinates have various applications in real life, such as in navigation systems, astronomy, and engineering. For example, in navigation, polar coordinates are used to determine the location and direction of an object or person in relation to a fixed point. In engineering, they are used to describe the position and movement of objects in a circular or spherical motion.