Does the Transmission Coefficient Affect Phase Relationships in Optics?

In summary, The conversation discusses the transmission coefficient in classical optics and whether or not the incident light will acquire a phase when a medium has a transmittance of 99%. The Wiki-article on propagation constant mentions an imaginary term for phase, but it is unclear if it applies to this scenario. Additionally, it is mentioned that if only the transmittance is given, there is no way to determine the phase shift.
Niles
Hi

I have a question on the transmission coefficient in classical optics. When we say that a medium has a transmittance of e.g. 99%, then 99% of the incident light intensity is transmitted. But will the light also acquire a phase?

I tried searching the web, but all I found was this Wiki-article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propagation_constant. There it states that the propagation constant has an imaginary term (=phase), but does it also apply to the case I described?

Niles.

Physics news on Phys.org
If just the transmittance is given, I don't see a way to determine the phase shift (if present).

the phases of light(incident,reflected,transmitted) at the point where it strikes must be equal.it induces some phase relationship for these waves.

1. What is the transmission coefficient?

The transmission coefficient is a measure of how much of a wave's energy passes through a given material or barrier. It is typically represented by the symbol "T" and is expressed as a decimal or percentage.

2. How is the transmission coefficient calculated?

The transmission coefficient is calculated by dividing the intensity of the transmitted wave by the intensity of the incident wave. This can also be expressed as the square of the amplitude of the transmitted wave divided by the square of the amplitude of the incident wave.

3. What factors affect the transmission coefficient?

The transmission coefficient can be affected by a variety of factors, including the material properties of the barrier, the frequency and wavelength of the wave, and the angle of incidence. It can also be impacted by the presence of other materials or structures around the barrier.

4. Why is the transmission coefficient important?

The transmission coefficient is important because it helps us understand how waves behave when they encounter a barrier or pass through a material. It is also a useful tool in fields such as optics, acoustics, and electronics, where the transmission of waves through materials is a key factor.

5. How can the transmission coefficient be manipulated?

The transmission coefficient can be manipulated by changing the properties of the barrier or material it is passing through. For example, the coefficient can be increased by using materials with lower densities or by decreasing the thickness of the barrier. Additionally, the angle of incidence can also be adjusted to impact the transmission coefficient.