Rectangular Well Width and Next Higher Energy for Full Electron Transmission

In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment involving electron scattering from a rectangular well of depth 4 eV. It is found that electrons of energy 5 eV are completely transmitted. The formula T = [1+ (ek2L-e-k2L)2/(16E/V(1-E/V))]-1 is used to calculate the width of the well, but it is found to be incorrect. The correct formula should take into account a complex value for k2. The answer for the width of the well is 2.045 Angstroms. The second part of the question asks for the next higher energy at which T = 1 can be observed, with the answer being 32 eV.
njdevils45
In an experiment involving electron scattering from a finite rectangular well of depth 4 eV, it is found that electrons of energy 5 eV are completely transmitted. What must be the width of the well? At what next higher energy can one expect to again observe T = 1?

My Attempt:

I used the formula T = [1+ (ek2L-e-k2L)2/(16E/V(1-E/V))]-1. After rearranging the formula i found that (ek2L-e-k2L)2 = 0, and thus the only way for this to be true is for L = 0. However my book gives the answer of L = 2.045 Angstroms for this part. I haven't even attempted the 2nd part yet, but the answer for that is 32 eV.

How do I go about fixing this dead end?

Physics news on Phys.org
njdevils45 said:
I used the formula T = [1+ (ek2L-e-k2L)2/(16E/V(1-E/V))]-1.
Is k2 real or imaginary?

TSny said:
Is k2 real or imaginary?

k2 is real. I found it to = 0.082. I think I found the error. I asked my professor and she said I was using the wrong formula to begin with. I'll try to search through my book and find a better version

OK. Your formula will work if you take ##k_2## to be imaginary and maybe change a sign or two in the formula. The formula you are using (with real ##k_2##) is probably for a rectangular barrier rather than a well. But the formulas for these two situations are very similar.

Last edited:
I found my mistake, thank you guys!

What is the Transmission Coefficient?

The Transmission Coefficient is a measure of the probability of a particle or wave passing through a potential barrier, and is used to describe the transmission of energy or information through a medium.

How is the Transmission Coefficient calculated?

The Transmission Coefficient is calculated by dividing the transmitted wave or particle intensity by the incident wave or particle intensity. It can also be calculated using the wave functions of the incident and transmitted waves.

What factors affect the Transmission Coefficient?

The Transmission Coefficient is affected by the energy of the incident particle, the barrier height and width, and the properties of the medium through which the particle is passing. It is also influenced by quantum mechanical effects such as tunneling.

Why is the Transmission Coefficient important in physics?

The Transmission Coefficient is important in physics because it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of waves or particles as they pass through potential barriers. It is also used in many practical applications, such as in electronics and telecommunications.

What is the relationship between the Transmission Coefficient and the Reflection Coefficient?

The Transmission Coefficient and Reflection Coefficient are complementary measures, meaning that if one increases, the other decreases. They both describe the behavior of waves or particles as they encounter a potential barrier, with the Transmission Coefficient describing the probability of transmission and the Reflection Coefficient describing the probability of reflection.