1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transmission level voltage

1. Sep 2, 2008 #1
    In india why the transmission level voltages are in multiiples of 11 ?

Ex:
    440 V, 1.1kV, 6.6kV, 11kV, 33kV, 66kV, 110kV, 220kV, 440kV

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2008 #2
    it's look like that they used the same matricial patern of the resistances

4. Sep 3, 2008 #3
    how u r saying........ what do u mean by matricial patern, ? can u explain please

5. Sep 3, 2008 #4
    what i mean is that it's seem like they used the same valors of those used on the resistance. Like 110 ohms or 44kohms

6. Sep 3, 2008 #5

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

No, that wouldn't be the reason. To cutiermn, I don't know why they use those values. Certainly 110, 220, 440Vrms are pretty standard values used in other parts of the world. I don't know the rationale for the higher voltage choices, though.

7. Sep 3, 2008 #6
    whether it has any relation with transformer output voltage........ because generally transformer output equation deals with 3.33 . So it may be the reason. Am i correct

8. Sep 3, 2008 #7
    That may not be reason. because resistance is not a constant one because the transmission line lenghts are varying. so u cant say like that

9. Sep 3, 2008 #8

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's a good question. I did some searching on how transmission line voltages are chosen. The only thing I could find was a little history on Electric power transmission. I guess there are no world standards and depends on the history of the region.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?