Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transmission level voltage

1. Sep 2, 2008 #1
    In india why the transmission level voltages are in multiiples of 11 ?

440 V, 1.1kV, 6.6kV, 11kV, 33kV, 66kV, 110kV, 220kV, 440kV
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2008 #2
    it's look like that they used the same matricial patern of the resistances
  4. Sep 3, 2008 #3
    how u r saying........ what do u mean by matricial patern, ? can u explain please
  5. Sep 3, 2008 #4
    what i mean is that it's seem like they used the same valors of those used on the resistance. Like 110 ohms or 44kohms
  6. Sep 3, 2008 #5

Staff: Mentor

No, that wouldn't be the reason. To cutiermn, I don't know why they use those values. Certainly 110, 220, 440Vrms are pretty standard values used in other parts of the world. I don't know the rationale for the higher voltage choices, though.
  7. Sep 3, 2008 #6
    whether it has any relation with transformer output voltage........ because generally transformer output equation deals with 3.33 . So it may be the reason. Am i correct
  8. Sep 3, 2008 #7
    That may not be reason. because resistance is not a constant one because the transmission line lenghts are varying. so u cant say like that
  9. Sep 3, 2008 #8

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's a good question. I did some searching on how transmission line voltages are chosen. The only thing I could find was a little history on Electric power transmission. I guess there are no world standards and depends on the history of the region.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?