Transmission line coefficients

In summary, the given transmission line has primary coefficients of R=2Ω/m, L=8nH/m, G=0.5mS/m, and C=0.23pF/m. To determine the secondary coefficients (Z0, α, and β) at a frequency of 1GHz, the provided equations were used. However, there was an error in the first equation where 0.5 was divided by 2 to get 2.4 instead of 0.25. This results in a slightly different value for the calculation.
billyray

Homework Statement

A transmission line has the primary coefficients .

R=2Ω/m
L=8nH/m
G=0.5mS/m
C=0.23pF/m

Determine the lines secondary coefficients Z0, α and β at a frequency of 1GHz

Homework Equations

included in upload

The Attempt at a Solution

included. I think its just a case of filling into formula I have but not 100% sure.

Attachments

• 3b.pdf
    50.8 KB · Views: 296
Physics news on Phys.org
hi
thanks gneil. i have looked at this and my answer seems the same as i have used the same formula. on the first line of the equation they divide 0.5 by 2 and get 2.4. i know they are using a 10 to the power to mover decimal but 0.5 devided by 2 is 0.25 or am i missing something?

billyray said:
hi
thanks gneil. i have looked at this and my answer seems the same as i have used the same formula. on the first line of the equation they divide 0.5 by 2 and get 2.4. i know they are using a 10 to the power to mover decimal but 0.5 devided by 2 is 0.25 or am i missing something?
No, you're not missing anything, that's a genuine error. The result is not affected by much, 0.050 rather than 0.052, which are arguably the same result considering the number of significant digits in the given values :smile:

thanks gneil i will move on to the next one then.

billyray said:
thanks gneil i will move on to the next one then.

:wink:

What are transmission line coefficients?

Transmission line coefficients are parameters used to describe the behavior of electromagnetic waves traveling through a transmission line. They include the characteristic impedance, propagation constant, and attenuation constant.

How do transmission line coefficients affect signal transmission?

Transmission line coefficients affect the transmission of signals by determining how much of the signal is reflected, absorbed, or transmitted as it travels through the line. They also impact the speed and quality of the transmitted signal.

What factors influence the values of transmission line coefficients?

The values of transmission line coefficients are influenced by the physical properties of the transmission line, such as its length, material, and cross-sectional dimensions. They can also be affected by the frequency and type of signal being transmitted.

What is the significance of the characteristic impedance in transmission line coefficients?

The characteristic impedance is an important transmission line coefficient as it represents the ratio of voltage to current in a transmission line. It is used to match the impedance of the transmission line to the source and load to minimize signal reflections and maximize power transfer.

How are transmission line coefficients calculated?

Transmission line coefficients can be calculated using various formulas and equations, depending on the specific characteristics of the transmission line. These calculations often involve using complex numbers and can be done using specialized software or by hand using mathematical techniques.