Maximize Efficiency with Transmission Line Help - 99.5%, 577.4A, 692.88V

In summary: Thanks for the clarification, Bill. Yes, as a summary, we need to use the equations P=RI^2 and V=RI to calculate the efficiency of electricity transmission, the current carried by the transmission line, and the voltage of the transmission lines connected to the factory. After calculating, we get an efficiency of 99.5%, a current of 577.4 A, and a voltage of 692.88 V. It's important to note that we are using kW as the standard unit for power, and our results will also be in thousands (k) for current and voltage.
aliserwan
Homework Statement
A smaller factory uses 400 kW of power from the electrical grid. The total resistance of the pair of transmission lines carrying electricity to the factory is 1.2 Ω. The heat produced by the pair of transmission lines due to the motion of charges constitutes a loss in the process. The loss is 2 kW.
1-What is the efficiency of electricity transmission?
2- What current is carried by the supplying transmission line?
3- What voltage are the transmission lines connected to?
Relevant Equations
P=RI^2
V=RI or P/I
a) 99.5%
B) 577.4 A
c) 692.88 V

Physics news on Phys.org
aliserwan said:
Homework Statement:: A smaller factory uses 400 kW of power from the electrical grid. The total resistance of the pair of transmission lines carrying electricity to the factory is 1.2 Ω. The heat produced by the pair of transmission lines due to the motion of charges constitutes a loss in the process. The loss is 2 kW.
1-What is the efficiency of electricity transmission?
2- What current is carried by the supplying transmission line?
3- What voltage are the transmission lines connected to?
Relevant Equations:: P=RI^2
V=RI or P/I

a) 99.5%
B) 577.4 A
c) 692.88 V
B and C are wrong. Please post your working.
Hint: typical voltage for such would be many kV.

Likes aliserwan
P=R*I^2 so I=(400000/1.2)^0.5=577.4 A
V=R*I so V= 577.4*1.2 =692.88 V

aliserwan said:
P=R*I^2 so I=(400000/1.2)^0.5=577.4 A
V=R*I so V= 577.4*1.2 =692.88 V
You are confusing the power consumed by the factory with that lost in the wires.

Likes aliserwan
standard unit ? wat/aohm=Amber
v kvolt=kw/amber
??

haruspex said:
You are confusing the power consumed by the factory with that lost in the wires.
if i calculate:
I=(40/1.2)^0.5=18.25
v=I*R=18.25*1.2=21.9
but what about Units ? watt or Kw >> v or kv

efficiency=p-ploss /p =(400-2)/400 = 0.995
Ploss = I^2 * R then I = 40.8 A
P = V * I then V= 9.8 KV

Likes aliserwan
ghaith7710 said:
efficiency=p-ploss /p =(400-2)/400 = 0.995
Ploss = I^2 * R then I = 40.8 A
P = V * I then V= 9.8 KV
This is a homework thread.
Please read the forum guidelines. We provide hints, point out errors, but do not provide solutions.

Likes aliserwan
aliserwan said:
if i calculate:
I=(40/1.2)^0.5=18.25
v=I*R=18.25*1.2=21.9
but what about Units ? watt or Kw >> v or kv
You have not understood my post. All you have done there is lose the "k" in kW.

We do not know the resistance of the load in the factory. We know the resistance of the wires, and we know the power lost in the wires, so what is the current through the wires?

Likes aliserwan
Just a note in my capacity as moderator. I just want to reinforce what has been said - hints are provided - not answers. Just as a further hint - we are using KW ie thousands of watts. When calculating remember results will be in thousands as well. Now you know the resistance and power loss hence can calculate the current in thousands of amps. Knowing the resistance and amps, ohms law gives the voltage in thousands of volts across the wires, knowing the current in the device its connected to and power consumed you can calculate the voltage across it. Add them up.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:
Likes aliserwan

What does the 99.5% efficiency mean?

The 99.5% efficiency refers to the amount of energy that is successfully transmitted through the transmission line without being lost as heat or other forms of energy. In this case, it means that 99.5% of the energy put into the transmission line is successfully transmitted to the end destination.

How is the 577.4A current achieved?

The 577.4A current is achieved by using a combination of high voltage and low resistance in the transmission line. This allows for a larger amount of current to flow through the line without causing overheating or other issues.

What is the significance of the 692.88V voltage?

The 692.88V voltage is significant because it is the amount of electrical potential difference that is required to achieve the 99.5% efficiency and the 577.4A current. It is a measure of the strength of the electrical force pushing the current through the transmission line.

How does maximizing efficiency benefit the transmission line?

Maximizing efficiency benefits the transmission line by reducing energy losses, which can save money and resources. It also allows for more power to be transmitted through the line, making it more efficient and effective in delivering electricity to its intended destination.

What factors can affect the efficiency of a transmission line?

The efficiency of a transmission line can be affected by a number of factors, including the quality of the materials used, the length and diameter of the line, the temperature and weather conditions, and the amount of power being transmitted. It is important to carefully design and maintain the transmission line to ensure maximum efficiency.