1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transmission Line Properties

1. Apr 18, 2010 #1
    Two very large parallel conducting plates of very large length [tex]l[/tex], and width [tex]w[/tex] are separated by a distance [tex]d[/tex]. A current [tex]I=Jw[/tex] flows to the right in the lower plate and to the left in the upper plate. Each of the two currents produces a magnetic field [tex]\frac{B}{2}[/tex] between the two plates.

(a) Show that the total field between the plates is [tex]B=\mu_0 J[/tex] via Ampere's Circuital Law.

(b) Find the flux [tex]\phi[/tex] and the self inductance per unit lenght, [tex]\frac{L}{l}[/tex] for this arrangement.

(c) Find the capacitance per unit length, [tex]\frac{C}{l}[/tex].

(d) Find [tex]\sqrt{\frac{L}{C}}[/tex] in terms of [tex]\mu_0, \epsilon_0[/tex] and geometrical factors

My Attempt at Solution
    Part (a) is confusing as I have not used the circuital Law for rectangular geometry. I know that Ampere's Law is given by:

[tex]\oint_C \mathbf{B} \cdot \mathrm{d}\boldsymbol{\ell} = \mu_0 I_{\mathrm{enc}}[/tex]

But am confused as to how to apply it as it is not circular geometry.

In part (b) I know that:

[tex]\phi=BA[/tex]

But am not sure as to what area to use, since we know B per part (a)

Solving for flux leads us one step closer to finding the self inductance which is:

[tex]L=\frac{N\phi}{I}[/tex]

But again, I do not know what value to substitute in for [tex]N[/tex].

I am pretty sure I can find the capacitance per unit length per (c), and then (d) is a matter of combing (b) and (c) so that would be self explanatory. Could somebody help me get this thing started? Please keep in mind that I have a very elementary understanding of this material.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2010 #2
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook