1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transmission line Sketch

1. Apr 27, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

As seen in picture: A coaxial transmission line has a characteristic impedance of 50 Ω, propagation
    velocity of 200m/μs, length of 400m, and is terminated by a load resistance, RR =
    16.7 Ω. At the sending end the line is connected to a pulse generator that has an
    internal resistance of 150 Ω and produces a 40 V, 1 μs long pulse at time, t=0. Sketch
    the sending end voltage and current waveforms for 0≤t≤15 µsec.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm not sure how to approach this, I'm assuming it has something to do with the inductance and capacitance found from Z = Sqrt(L/C), does anyone have any thoughts?
    Thanks

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2014 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

IMO this is a very difficult assignment. It would be so even if the input were an infinite-duration pulse, in which case a lattice diagram could be used. Not sure if this type of diagram could be adapted for a finite-duration pulse (duration < L/v). Should in theory but wouldn't want to try it.

The basic idea of course is that
    1. the outgoing wave V and I moves with velocity v, I = V/Z_0;
    2. the returning wave V' and I' are related by the load reflection coefficient;
    3. the returning wave, added to the ingoing wave, force a new V and I at the source, which will depend on the source impedance;
    etc.

This keeps going until the input pulse goes back to zero V.

4. Apr 27, 2014 #3
    thanks

I see, thanks anyway.
    Though what does the internal resistance of the pulse generator have to do with it?

5. Apr 27, 2014 #4

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The 150 ohm source resistance determines the fraction of the reflected pulse (back to the source) sent back out again as a new pulse in the +x direction. Us your experssion for the reflection coefficient with Z_0 = 50 ohms and Z_L = 150 ohms.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted