Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transmission line

1. Nov 27, 2013 #1
    Hello

i would like to know what is the different between 300km and 150km in transmission line..
    thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2013 #2

jim mcnamara

Staff: Mentor

What kind of characteristics are you asking about? Line loss? There is a practical limit to the length of a transmission line, substations and ties affect transmission lines as well.

Could you please be a lot more specific? example: How many Kv? What are you trying to learn about?
    This will help you to think about what you want to ask:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_power_transmission

[story]
    As a side note: Rio Grande Electric Cooperative has the single longest transmission line in the US (As of 1995).
    It was nicknamed 'Old Leaky'. If I remember correctly, it had line losses on the order of 15%. Rio Grande, to my knowledge, has never done well financially. I think the line has something to do with it. With the measurement of customers per mile of line, it was also awful - about .5 customer meters per mile. Most meters were lumped in a few small developments in the Big Bend Park.
    [/story]

Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
  4. Nov 27, 2013 #3
    okay...

I'm not asking for line loss, I'm asking like what is the main different between both of the lines..
    380v...

5. Nov 27, 2013 #4

jim mcnamara

Staff: Mentor

None, except increased line loss and side effects like cost of maintenance. Line loss is a function of distance, AC vs DC, conductor types, coronal loss, voltage, etc. Line length(resistance / impedance) is the primary factor after AC/DC and voltage.

So, your question, as asked, makes little sense to me. Unless you are referring to impedance or resistance....

Since you refuse to consider line loss (impedance/resistance, etc), the answer is: no difference.

Is this a homework question of some sort?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
  6. Nov 27, 2013 #5

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

since you don't want to consider the electrical differences

the difference in this context is 150 km :tongue:

Dave

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook