Transmission Line: 300km vs 150km

In summary: The main difference between the two distances is an increase in line loss and other side effects, such as maintenance costs. The conversation also mentions the longest transmission line in the US, nicknamed "Old Leaky," and its issues with line loss and financial struggles. The speaker also suggests that the question being asked may not make sense without considering impedance or resistance, and suggests that it may be a homework question.
onceinalifetim
Hello

i would like to know what is the different between 300km and 150km in transmission line..
thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
What kind of characteristics are you asking about? Line loss? There is a practical limit to the length of a transmission line, substations and ties affect transmission lines as well.

Could you please be a lot more specific? example: How many Kv? What are you trying to learn about?
This will help you to think about what you want to ask:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_power_transmission

[story]
As a side note: Rio Grande Electric Cooperative has the single longest transmission line in the US (As of 1995).
It was nicknamed 'Old Leaky'. If I remember correctly, it had line losses on the order of 15%. Rio Grande, to my knowledge, has never done well financially. I think the line has something to do with it. With the measurement of customers per mile of line, it was also awful - about .5 customer meters per mile. Most meters were lumped in a few small developments in the Big Bend Park.
[/story]

Last edited:
okay...

I'm not asking for line loss, I'm asking like what is the main different between both of the lines..
380v...

None, except increased line loss and side effects like cost of maintenance. Line loss is a function of distance, AC vs DC, conductor types, coronal loss, voltage, etc. Line length(resistance / impedance) is the primary factor after AC/DC and voltage.

So, your question, as asked, makes little sense to me. Unless you are referring to impedance or resistance...

Since you refuse to consider line loss (impedance/resistance, etc), the answer is: no difference.

Is this a homework question of some sort?

Last edited:
since you don't want to consider the electrical differences

the difference in this context is 150 km :tongue:Dave

What is the difference between a 300km and 150km transmission line?

A transmission line is a structure that carries electricity from a power plant to homes and businesses. The main difference between a 300km and 150km transmission line is the distance they can cover. A 300km transmission line can cover a longer distance compared to a 150km transmission line.

How does the distance of a transmission line affect its efficiency?

The distance of a transmission line can affect its efficiency in several ways. As the distance increases, the resistance and losses in the line also increase, resulting in a decrease in efficiency. Additionally, longer transmission lines may require more support structures, leading to higher costs and potential disruptions in the environment.

What is the impact of a longer transmission line on power generation?

A longer transmission line can impact power generation by causing power losses and voltage drops. This means that the power generated at the source may not be fully delivered to the end-users, resulting in a decrease in the overall efficiency of the power system. It may also require additional equipment and maintenance to compensate for these losses.

What are some factors to consider when deciding between a 300km and 150km transmission line?

There are several factors to consider when deciding between a 300km and 150km transmission line, including cost, efficiency, reliability, and environmental impact. Longer transmission lines may be more expensive to build and maintain, but they can also cover a larger area and potentially be more reliable. However, shorter transmission lines may have lower losses and be more environmentally friendly.

What advancements have been made in transmission line technology to increase efficiency?

Advancements in transmission line technology have focused on reducing losses and increasing efficiency. One example is the use of high voltage transmission lines, which can transport power over longer distances with lower losses. Other advancements include the use of superconducting materials and advanced monitoring systems to improve the reliability and performance of transmission lines.