Prove That Relationship Given is True for Transmission Lines Homework

In summary, the problem is that the student is trying to solve for Zin in an equation that does not have a constant in it, and ends up getting Z in an equation that has a constant in it.
Sum Guy

Homework Statement

16c8i0h.png

I am having problems with the second part of the question - proving that the relationship given is true.

Homework Equations

See question.

The Attempt at a Solution

Firstly, consider a single pair of transmission lines with characteristic impedances ##Z_{1}## and ##Z_{2}##. My interpretation is that each of these segments have no load impedances on their own. We can say that this pair of transmission lines is equivalent to one transmission line whereby the load impedance is the input impedance as seen by the transmission line with characteristic impedance ##Z_{2}##. So the overall input impedance of this pair is:
$$Z_{in} = Z_1 \times \frac{Zcos(kl) + iZ_{1}sin(kl)}{Z_{1}cos(kl) + iZsin(kl)}$$ where ##Z = Z_{2}itan(kl)##.

Following this through we end up with:
$$Z_{in} = \frac{isin(kl)cos(kl)[Z_{1} + Z_{2}]}{cos^{2}(kl) - \frac{Z_2}{Z_1}sin^{2}(kl)}$$
I then thought about adding another pair of these transmission lines and enforcing the rule that the input impedance shouldn't change, but by my flawed reasoning would reduce this to adding a resistor in parallel whilst ensuring that the overall resistance did not change (which cannot be the case for something non-trivial).

Physics news on Phys.org
Sum Guy said:
$$Z_{in} = Z_1 \times \frac{Zcos(kl) + iZ_{1}sin(kl)}{Z_{1}cos(kl) + iZsin(kl)}$$ where ##Z = Z_{2}itan(kl)##..
This part is incorrect I think (always "I think" heh heh).
This problem is just very messy. Once you have Zin for the two-section concatenated line, add two more identical concatenated ones to get Zin for the 4-section line in the same manner, then force the ensuing Zin to be the same as for the 2-section line.

rude man said:
This part is incorrect I think (always "I think" heh heh).
This problem is just very messy. Once you have Zin for the two-section concatenated line, add two more identical concatenated ones to get Zin for the 4-section line in the same manner, then force the ensuing Zin to be the same as for the 2-section line.

My reasoning was as follows:
$$Z_{in 2} = Z_{2} \times \frac{Zcos(kl) + iZ_{2}sin(kl)}{Z_{2}cos(kl) + iZsin(kl)}$$ where ##Z = 0## (?)
Giving $$Z_{in 2} = Z_{2} \times \frac{iZ_{2}sin(kl)}{Z_{2}cos(kl)} = Z_{2}itan(kl)$$
What is wrong here?

Sum Guy said:
My reasoning was as follows:
$$Z_{in 2} = Z_{2} \times \frac{Zcos(kl) + iZ_{2}sin(kl)}{Z_{2}cos(kl) + iZsin(kl)}$$ where ##Z = 0## (?)
How about Z = ∞ instead?

1. What is the relationship given for transmission lines?

The relationship given for transmission lines is known as the Telegrapher's equation, which describes the propagation of electromagnetic waves along a transmission line.

2. How is this relationship used in the study of transmission lines?

This relationship is used to calculate the voltage and current at any point along a transmission line, as well as the reflection and transmission coefficients at the interface between two transmission lines.

3. Can this relationship be proven mathematically?

Yes, the Telegrapher's equation can be derived from Maxwell's equations and the lumped element model of a transmission line. This mathematical proof is often a part of homework assignments for students studying transmission lines.

4. Are there any real-life applications of this relationship?

Yes, the Telegrapher's equation is used in the design and analysis of various communication systems, such as telephone lines, coaxial cables, and fiber optic cables. It is also used in the design of high-frequency electronic circuits and antennas.

5. Is this relationship limited to a specific type of transmission line?

No, the Telegrapher's equation can be applied to any type of transmission line, including coaxial, microstrip, and waveguide. It is a fundamental relationship in the study of transmission lines and is applicable to a wide range of practical situations.