Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transmission of HIV

1. May 6, 2015 #1

Suraj M

Gold Member

Consider this,
    A couple, where the male is HIV+ve and the female is perfectly alright, not infected.
    Can they have a baby without getting neither the mother nor the baby infected?
    Naturally, probably not because, the female will get infected, so by AI(artificial insemination) there is no sexual contact between the two, so the female wouldnt get infected, unless the semen contains the virus( will it? this is my first question)
    If we do consider that the mother(female) might get infected, lets try ICSI(intra cytoplasmic sperm injection) where the sperm nucleus is directly injected into the cytoplasm of the ovum(2°oocyte), now will the baby be infected?(I have seen cases where the baby was fine)want to confirm, because my teacher believes that the baby will get infected, and also will the mother get infected?If yes, when?
    Thank you in advance

2. jcsd
  3. May 6, 2015 #2
    ICSI is practiced in cases where the male is HIV positive and the female isn't. So, no, baby won't get infected.
    My brother is HIV positive and his baby and wife aren't (thanks to ICSI and something called sperm washing)
    The semen contains HIV but the sperm doesn't (there's a debate going on abt this. Google it). But in ICSI, u use the nucleus. And, sure as hell, nucleus doesn't contain HIV.
    So, there you go :)

4. May 6, 2015 #3

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor

It's also worth noting that in many cases, antiretroviral drugs can lower one's viral load to undetectable levels, which reduces the chances of transmission during sex. The female can also take antiretroviral drugs which further reduces her risk of becoming infected. Such methods do not guarantee that the virus will not be transmitted but are an option in case the couple does not want to use sperm washing and IVF. See http://www.hiv.va.gov/HIV/mobile/in...faqs/conceiving-with-mixed-HIV-status-couple&

Last edited: May 7, 2015
  5. May 7, 2015 #4

Suraj M

Gold Member

Thanks both of you.. appreciate it :)

6. May 14, 2015 #5
    Thanks both

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook