Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transmittance of Cyclohexane

1. Jan 7, 2016 #1
    I am interested to use a pyrometer to measure the temperature of a graphite heater while it is being heated (upto 1200 degC). The heater is located inside a small chamber filled with liquid cyclohexane . For viewing purpose of the pyrometer the chamber is having a viewport of Quartz.

The pyrometer can sense wavelength in the range 2 - 4 micron. I am interested to know whether cyclohexane will transmit the IR radiation to pass through the quartz viewport upto the pyrometer. Will appreciate a reply in this regard.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2016 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Can't help with IR (I would start finding the expected wavelength and comparing it with the IR spectra for cyclohexane, no idea if the ranges will overlap though) but I hope your chamber is pressure proof, cyclohexane boils around 80°C.

4. Jan 7, 2016 #3
    Thanks for your reply. The vessel is not closed and the vapours once formed will be condensed using a seperate condenser. In fact I was trying to find IR curve for cyclohexane in the range of 30000 to 60000 cm-1 wave number. Unfortunately i could not get one . If you find any IR curve in that range please do communicate.

5. Jan 8, 2016 #4
  6. Jan 8, 2016 #5

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Finding the IR spectra is not that difficult. Problem is, I don't think these cover the IR range OP mentioned, so they are useless here.

7. Jan 8, 2016 #6
    I agree with you. The IR curve I have obtained none of them spells anything in that region of 2-4 microns.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook