Transmittance of Cyclohexane for IR Radiation Through Quartz Viewport

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a pyrometer to measure the temperature of a graphite heater located inside a chamber filled with liquid cyclohexane. The wavelength range of the pyrometer and the possibility of the IR radiation passing through the quartz viewport to the pyrometer is also mentioned. The conversation also touches on the difficulty of finding an IR curve for cyclohexane in the specific range mentioned.
Jhon Paul
I am interested to use a pyrometer to measure the temperature of a graphite heater while it is being heated (upto 1200 degC). The heater is located inside a small chamber filled with liquid cyclohexane . For viewing purpose of the pyrometer the chamber is having a viewport of Quartz.

The pyrometer can sense wavelength in the range 2 - 4 micron. I am interested to know whether cyclohexane will transmit the IR radiation to pass through the quartz viewport upto the pyrometer. Will appreciate a reply in this regard.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Jhon Paul said:
(upto 1200 degC). The heater is located inside a small chamber filled with liquid cyclohexane

Can't help with IR (I would start finding the expected wavelength and comparing it with the IR spectra for cyclohexane, no idea if the ranges will overlap though) but I hope your chamber is pressure proof, cyclohexane boils around 80°C.

Thanks for your reply. The vessel is not closed and the vapours once formed will be condensed using a separate condenser. In fact I was trying to find IR curve for cyclohexane in the range of 30000 to 60000 cm-1 wave number. Unfortunately i could not get one . If you find any IR curve in that range please do communicate.

Finding the IR spectra is not that difficult. Problem is, I don't think these cover the IR range OP mentioned, so they are useless here.

I agree with you. The IR curve I have obtained none of them spells anything in that region of 2-4 microns.

What is transmittance of cyclohexane?

Transmittance of cyclohexane refers to the ability of this chemical compound to allow light to pass through it without being absorbed or scattered. It is a measure of the percentage of light that is transmitted through a solution of cyclohexane.

How is transmittance of cyclohexane measured?

The transmittance of cyclohexane is measured using a spectrophotometer, which measures the amount of light that passes through a sample of cyclohexane at a specific wavelength. The results are then expressed as a percentage on a scale from 0 to 100.

What factors can affect the transmittance of cyclohexane?

The transmittance of cyclohexane can be affected by various factors such as the concentration of the solution, the path length of the light through the solution, and the wavelength of the light being used. Other external factors such as temperature and impurities in the solution can also impact the transmittance.

What is the relationship between transmittance and absorbance?

Transmittance and absorbance are inversely proportional to each other. As the transmittance of a solution increases, the absorbance decreases. This means that a solution with higher transmittance will absorb less light, while a solution with lower transmittance will absorb more light.

Why is transmittance of cyclohexane important in scientific research?

The transmittance of cyclohexane is important in scientific research as it can provide valuable information about the properties of this compound, such as its purity and concentration. It is also used in various experiments and analyses, such as determining the concentration of a substance in a solution or studying the effects of different wavelengths of light on a solution.