Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transmitter and Receiver

1. Aug 16, 2015 #1
    Hello :)
    So my question are:
    -how to build a transmitter and a receiver?
    -how do they actually work?(in detail,microscopic and macroscopic)
    -which scientist was the one who invented this tech and if possible,are there any papers published that can be red today?
    Thank you for your time.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 16, 2015 #2
    Heinrich Hertz first did this using a spark gap at the centre of a dipole antenna. He used a very small spark gap in a tuned loop as his receiver. A book is available "Researches on the Propagation of Electric Action with Finite Velocity through Space", by Heinrich Hertz (Cornell University reprint). Of course, techniques quickly evolved for the next 122 years, so you can choose. Maybe you can use a signal generator and a diode detector with an oscilloscope.

4. Aug 16, 2015 #3
    (Professor John Hughes demonstrated reception using a mobile receiver in London in 1879, but it was rejected by members of the Royal Society because at that time they thought it was induction rather than radiation).

5. Aug 17, 2015 #4

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

google is your friend for basic questions like that

do some searching, there's masses of info, come back with more specific questions on things you may not understand

we at PF will help you along, but we wont do your research study for you
    you need to learn to make an effort for a start

cheers
    Dave

6. Aug 17, 2015 #5

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

7. Aug 17, 2015 #6

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

All I can say is that I hope the OP is talking about radio.

8. Aug 17, 2015 #7
    I guess I did not put my questions rigth,when I said microscopic level I meant from the point of quantum physics,how does it really work,not some science 200 years agoo..hahah there is that...also for the scientist I meant for the new one who discovered it from the microscopic world,there is not much on the internet about that. Thanks :)

9. Aug 17, 2015 #8
    Thank you,answered most of my questions,helpful :)

10. Aug 17, 2015 #9
  11. Aug 17, 2015 #10

Dale

Staff: Mentor

Radio is classical. I don't think that it makes sense to think about it on a quantum level. It would be like trying to understand an inclined plane using general relativity.

There are some quantum phenomena that cause RF radiation, but those are not used for transmission and reception.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook