1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transparent non-stick film?

1. Jun 25, 2007 #1
    Hello,

I have a camera I am using to monitor some items, and the shield for it is exposed to a lot of mist (oil-based ink). An issue I am having is that this guard is quickly becoming covered, rendering the camera useless. It is dificult to access the camera, so cleaning it by hand becomes quite cumbersome.

I was wondering is there is a transparent non-stick film/chemical (like teflon in cookingware) that I can apply to the shield (made of glass).

Thanks,

ioll

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 25, 2007 #2

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You could try making your shield out of Pilkington Activ; this is a 'self-cleaning' glass designed for use on difficult-to-clean buildings. Normally works by allowing water to form sheets rather than droplets. May not do the same job with your oil, but it's definitely worth a try.

4. Jun 25, 2007 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Can you make a clean air knife to protect the lens? Use a sheet of clean air blowing out in front of the lens to keep the mist away from the lens?

Also, in dirtbiking and motocross, we often use a goggle accessory called a "Roll-Off" system:

http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?item=STU_4051065432150

By pulling down on the little string thing, you roll the dirty strip from in front of your eyes, and are left with a clean strip in front. Maybe there is some similar automated system for cameras?

5. Jun 25, 2007 #4

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Since your contaminant is an oil-based pigment, you need something that will repel oil. A fluorinated silane coating is probably the best solution. Gelest may have something that you are looking for. I would look for perfluorooctyl (or perfluorodecyl) trimethoxysilane, triethoxysilane, trichlorosilane. Fluorous Technologies also offers one perfluoro compound (1H,1H,2H,2H-perfluorodecyltrichlorosilane) that you could apply directly to glass to achieve a perfluorinated, clear molecular film.

If these don't work you could also try a two step process to functionalize the optical surface with a reactive silane and follow it with a perfluoro compound with appropriate chemistry to link with the active group. One example would be to apply 3-aminopropyltrimethoxysilane (Dow Corning Z-6020, available from Aldrich Chemical, #281778-100ML) to the glass in the first step and an amino-reactive perfluoro compound in the second such as perfluoro isocyanate (Fluorous Technologies #F017032, (perfluorooctyl)ethyl isocyanate). The combinations of the two step procedure are nearly unlimited...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?