Creating Transparent Touch Screen: Find the Right Display

In summary: You might be able to find a projector that can do true color, and then just white-balance the background to green.In summary, the best transparent touch screen is the MicroTouchSCT3250EX from 3M. The screen can be used with a projector to project an image onto the screen, or a camera can be used to project a background image.
noagname
I'm trying to create(or buy) a transparent touch screen. I realize this is a difficult task, through all of my research. I have found http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/TouchSystems/TouchScreen/Solutions/TouchScreens/MicroTouchSCT3250EX/" to be the best transparent touch pad. Now I need to find a way to display an image onto the screen.

I haven't spent much time working with projectors but I would think shinning an image onto the glass. The image would just go through the glass and not really show up(please tell me I'm wrong). Then I did more research and found holo screens and oled displays.

So I need help with finding the right kind of display that I can buy. Which would become transparent as soon as a computer told it to.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
What exactly are you envisaging this thing looking like? Would it be transparent but with illuminated, opaque objects floating on it? You can get non-back-lit LCD screens but they are diffuse / translucent rather than transparent.
Would you settle for a Pepper's Ghost type of display? With a large (curved) mirror, you could produce a virtual image in the same plane as the touch screen yet also see through to objects behind the screen. Size would be very relevant to whether or not you could do it.

For the size, it has to be at least 18 inches horizontal, preferably 20 inches. With a 4:3 aspect ratio that would been 26.6 vertical giving us a diagonal of 33 inches. It also has to be flat, the image also has to be bright and vibrant.

I'm envisioning a large touch screen with an image on the front and you can't see that background. Then when its time the image fades away and you can see the background.

I can control the lighting on the behind the screen, I also found these http://www.prodisplay.com/switchable-smart-film-screens.html
http://www.smartglassinternational.com/commercial-smart-glass/

How about a camera behind the screen which provides a background image when it's needed? It would fail the parallax test, of course, but it could be somewhat convincing. Actually, for one user, you could even track their eye / head movement and get the parallax / zoom right so the view of behind could look pretty convincing.

lol, we had thought about that. We had done some basic research on the idea and truthfully we couldn't find a reason not to. Other then we all liked the idea of a transparent screen more.

I am trying to something just like this and I can't find any transparent screens what so ever. I don't care about it being completely transparent i just want it some what transparent. I was thinking about the screen that they put inside projectors and sandwitch it between the pieces of plexyglass with a touch pad on top. it is going to be hand held so i can't use smart glass and a projector. Any suggestions are helpfull

I think you can get acetate sheets that have very limited frosting on them.
You rear project on to the screen at an angle, and use the projector electronics to correct for the distortion. The slight frosting should allow the screen to still be transparent, but also disperse enough of the projected pattern to see it.
Unless your background is green, green light is the easiest to see.

1. What is a transparent touch screen display?

A transparent touch screen display is a type of display that allows users to interact with the screen by touching it, while also allowing them to see through the screen. This is achieved by using a transparent material as the display, such as glass or plastic, and incorporating touch-sensitive technology into the screen.

2. How does a transparent touch screen work?

A transparent touch screen display works by using a layer of conductive material, such as indium tin oxide, on the surface of the screen. When a user touches the screen, their finger completes an electrical circuit, which is then registered by sensors in the screen. This information is then translated into actions on the screen, such as clicking or scrolling.

3. What are the benefits of using a transparent touch screen?

There are several benefits to using a transparent touch screen display. One is its aesthetic appeal, as it can be integrated seamlessly into the design of a product without obstructing the view. It also allows for more intuitive and interactive user experiences, as users can directly interact with the content on the screen. Additionally, transparent touch screens can be used in various lighting conditions, making them versatile for different environments.

4. What factors should be considered when choosing a transparent touch screen display?

When choosing a transparent touch screen display, it is important to consider the type of material used for the display, the touch sensitivity and accuracy, the durability and scratch-resistance of the screen, and the cost. It is also important to consider the specific needs and requirements of the application, as different displays may be more suitable for certain environments or use cases.

5. What are some common applications of transparent touch screen displays?

Transparent touch screen displays are used in a variety of industries and applications, including retail, automotive, aerospace, healthcare, and more. They can be used for interactive kiosks, digital signage, navigation systems, medical equipment, and even in smart home technology. They are also becoming increasingly popular in wearable technology, such as smart glasses and watches.