1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transport Theorem

1. Dec 30, 2011 #1
    Hi all,

Can anybody explain the Transport Theorem (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotating_reference_frame#Relating_rotating_frames_to_stationary_frames) in more non-physicist terms? I simply can't wrap my head around the visual of this theorem, which has the gist of:

d/dt f = df/dt + (angular velocity) x f(t)

Where f(t) represents the position in time.

I simply cannot visualise the result. If I use an angular velocity vector of [0, 1, 0] (rotation around y axis), and a position of [0.5, 0, 0], the resulting derivative is [0, 0, -0.5]. I would at least expect a time derivative with changes of x, and z, instead of just z. Am I not understanding the actual *meaning* of the result? If df/dt = [0, 0, 0], I'm assuming that the rotation should result in a derivative vector of something like [x, 0, z], where x and z are some non-zero values?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 30, 2011 #2

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I'm more familiar with the Reynold Transport theorem (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reynolds_transport_theorem), but your post seems to be a special case.

The Reynolds transport theorem simply accounts for changes in the coordinate system (or changes to the shape of a volume) in addition to changes in a physical quantity. I suspect the same holds for you- the second term accounts for the rotating coordinate system.

4. Dec 30, 2011 #3
    Thanks for the reply, Andy. I looked into some physics texts, and I think what was throwing me off was the fact that a rotation of a particle [1, 0, 0] around y [0, +/- 1, 0] in the equation (what you were referring to above as the derivative accounting for the rotation of the frame), ended up with a velocity which was [0, 0, +/- 1], which, when you think about it, a rotation with an angular velocity of [0, +/- 1, 0] *would* result in a velocity of the particle of [0, 0, +/- 1], ie, the particle is accelerating instantaneously directly forward/backward on the X/Z plane. I think what threw me was the fact that at that instant, I was assuming there would be a velocity which was *turning*, with both X and Z components. Realistically, this is not how the velocity would look at that instant, as the tangent of a particle [1, 0, 0] moving on a circular orbit is [0, 0, 1] at that instant.

So that seems to make sense to me now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook