How can I determine which penalty to choose first in a transportation problem?

• Thread starter Amith2006
  • Start date
In summary, when using the Vogel approximation method (VAM) to find the basic feasible solution for maximizing transportation cost, it is necessary to convert the problem into a minimization type by changing the sign of values in the cost matrix. Then, the row penalty and column penalty must be written and if there is a tie between two penalty values, the penalty corresponding to the minimum cost should be chosen. However, if the question is a maximization type and there is a tie, the penalty corresponding to the highest cost - next highest cost should be chosen. VAM is only a heuristic for determining a starting point and may not always produce the best solution. Therefore, it is recommended to pick the assignment that produces the larger transportation cost and continue
Amith2006
Sir,
Suppose we are asked to find the basic feasible solution for maximizing transportation cost using Vogel approximation method (VAM). We then convert it into minimization type by changing the sign of values in the cost matrix. We then write the row penalty and column penalty. Suppose there is tie between 2 penalty values, which should be taken first? I have this doubt because I get 2 different solutions in each case.
If the question was minimization type and if there is a tie we would take that penalty corresponding to which there is minimum cost. If I apply the same rule in maximization type question, I get a solution which is less than the other solution (i.e. suppose solution obtained by applying the rule is 1000 and the other solution is 1200, this solution(1000) is not appropriate as the question is to obtain maximum cost).

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are working on a maximization problem, you can either :

(i) Change the sign of the costs and apply the minimization method; or

(ii) Determine the row/column with largest penalty (calculated as highest cost - next highest cost) and apply the maximum allowed amount to the cell with the highest cost in that row/column.

Either of these two methods should give you a basic feasible solution.

Now, you say you did the first thing and got a less optimal solution by breaking the tie by choosing the cell with the lower cost. This is possible.

Remember that VAM is only a heuristic for determining a starting point. There is no reason to expect it to produce the best starting solution either. It is unlikely to produce the result that happened in your case, but it is not impossible.

So, don't worry about it. If I were you, I'd simply pick the assignment that produced the larger transportation cost, and move on to the optimixation from there. It wouldn't bother me so much that I had to deviate from the method suggested by Vogel.

Alternatively you can start with the other BSF (the lower one, that is got by strictly following Vogel), but it might take a couple more steps of iteration before you get to the optimal solution.

Mostly, my choice would depend on whether my grader/prof was a person that encouraged or discouraged improvization.

PS : There's also the small chance that you made a numerical mistake. If you supply the cost matrix and the constraints, someone can double-check your result.

PPS : Why do you begin your post with "Sir" ? Do you not think there are any women trained in Operations Research ?

Last edited:

What is a transportation problem?

A transportation problem is a type of linear programming problem that involves finding the most efficient way to transport goods from a set of sources to a set of destinations. It is a mathematical model that is used to optimize the allocation and distribution of resources.

What are the key components of a transportation problem?

The key components of a transportation problem are the sources, destinations, supply at each source, demand at each destination, and the cost of transporting goods from each source to each destination. These elements are used to create a transportation matrix, which is the basis for solving the problem.

What are the different methods for solving a transportation problem?

There are several methods for solving a transportation problem, including the North-West Corner Method, Least Cost Method, Vogel's Approximation Method, and the MODI (Modified Distribution) Method. These methods use different approaches to find the optimal solution and minimize transportation costs.

How is the optimal solution determined in a transportation problem?

The optimal solution in a transportation problem is determined by finding the minimum cost of transporting goods from all sources to all destinations while satisfying the supply and demand constraints. This can be done by using mathematical algorithms and computer programs to find the most efficient allocation of resources.

What are some real-world applications of transportation problems?

Transportation problems have many real-world applications, such as supply chain management, logistics planning, and route optimization. They are also used in industries such as manufacturing, retail, and healthcare to minimize transportation costs and improve efficiency in the distribution of goods and services.