Transporting an Ice Cream Tub in hot weather

In summary, the conversation revolved around the best way to transport ice cream in a hot car. The options discussed were to either buy a small ice chest and ice to keep the ice cream cold or to eat the ice cream immediately and then drive home. The main focus of the conversation was on the physics of heat transportation and whether it is better to have an insulating layer of static air or to have flowing air at a certain temperature. It was also suggested to wrap the ice cream in a plastic bag and to limit diffusion and radiative exchange to keep it cold.
cmb
It was hot and I bought a tub of ice cream to take home.

I put the AC on and blew into the footwell where the ice cream was.

Was that sensible?

Is it better to let a static layer of cold air surround the tub of ice cream (say at -5C), or to blow cold (~+10C) air over it when the ambient in the car is ~+25C? What are the determining factors, and how would one crunch the numbers?

Physics news on Phys.org
As I see it, there are two options here:
  1. Buy a small ice chest and some ice, and put the tub in the ice chest for the trip home. If this will happen regularly, start carrying a small ice chest with you at all times.
  2. Eat the ice cream immediately, and then drive home.
I know which option I would have chosen...

Last edited:
Likes anorlunda, davenn and jrmichler
1. Didn't know I was going to be buying any.
2. Can't eat 2kg of ice cream. No spoon, and slightly more than I usually eat in one sitting.
3. It was a physics question, not a question on shopping/culinary practicalities.

Then use my option #1. Unless you have a source of cold air below freezing (like in your freezer), your best bet is insulation and adding ice.

I am not sure why you are persisting with that line. Neither was an option.

Which was best at the time, with blowing 10C air, or nothing? I am interested in what conditions can be considered to determine if an insulating layer of static air is better than flowing air, and what the factors are. This is a question about heat transportation, not ice cream and cars.

cmb said:
I am interested in what conditions can be considered to determine if an insulating layer of static air is better than flowing air, and what the factors are.
What's your take on it? Ice cream at sub-zero, or "moving air at 10 C?" Which direction is the energy moving?

I always keep a spare jacket and blanket in the trunk of my car (and a hat and gloves and boots...It can get cold here.) If I make an unexpected ice cream purchase in hot weather, I wrap it in the jacket and blanket. Seems to work well.

Likes sophiecentaur and berkeman
Bystander said:
What's your take on it? Ice cream at sub-zero, or "moving air at 10 C?" Which direction is the energy moving?
There must be some point at which the flow rate is optimum. I mean, with the air completely static, diffusion into that 'air jacket' space from the 25C car will warm it up, whereas some movement of 10C air will displace the layer of cold air around the ice cream but avoid the diffusion of warm air around it.

I think best to wrap it in a plastic shopping bag to limit diffusion, and bathe the outside of the bag in cold air to reduce radiative exchange with the bag, which is basically what I tried to do (not a sealed bag though).

1. How can I keep my ice cream from melting while transporting it in hot weather?

One way to keep your ice cream from melting is to use a cooler or insulated bag to transport it. You can also wrap the ice cream tub in a towel or newspaper to provide extra insulation. Additionally, try to minimize the time spent outside in the hot weather.

2. Can I use dry ice to transport my ice cream in hot weather?

Yes, you can use dry ice to transport your ice cream in hot weather. Dry ice is extremely cold and can help keep your ice cream frozen for a longer period of time. However, be sure to handle dry ice with care and follow proper safety precautions.

3. How long can I safely transport ice cream in hot weather?

The length of time you can safely transport ice cream in hot weather depends on various factors such as the temperature outside, the type of container used, and the insulation. In general, it is recommended to limit the transportation time to no more than 30 minutes to ensure the ice cream stays frozen.

4. Can I refreeze ice cream if it has melted during transportation in hot weather?

No, it is not recommended to refreeze ice cream that has melted during transportation in hot weather. This can affect the texture and quality of the ice cream. It is best to consume the melted ice cream immediately or discard it.

5. Is it safe to transport homemade ice cream in hot weather?

Yes, it is safe to transport homemade ice cream in hot weather as long as it is kept frozen and insulated during transportation. Be sure to use a well-insulated container and limit the transportation time to avoid any potential food safety issues.