Transpose Formula & Find Correct Solution: Homework Help

• Thread starter j.will
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formula
In summary, the student is attempting to transpose an equation to make E the subject. Their first attempt is incorrect and their second attempt is long-winded. The student is advised to multiply both sides of the equation by E and divide both sides by δ to isolate E.
j.will

Homework Statement

I need to transpose the following equation to make E the subject (see deflection due to bending attachment .jpg) and I'm not sure whether my attempt is correct or not.
Could anybody advise on the corrections needed on my attempts.

Homework Equations

see deflection due to bending attachment

The Attempt at a Solution

See attempt 1 and attempt 2 attachments (.jpg)

Attachments

• Deflection due to bending.jpg
    Deflection due to bending.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 410
  • Attempt 1.jpg
    Attempt 1.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 344
  • attempt 2.jpg
    attempt 2.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 702
Physics news on Phys.org
j.will said:

Homework Statement

I need to transpose the following equation to make E the subject (see deflection due to bending attachment .jpg) and I'm not sure whether my attempt is correct or not.
Could anybody advise on the corrections needed on my attempts.

Homework Equations

see deflection due to bending attachment

The Attempt at a Solution

See attempt 1 and attempt 2 attachments (.jpg)
Your first attempt is completely incorrect. If you want to multiply both sides of the equation by 48EI, you must multiply ALL the terms on both sides by that amount, not just the ones which are convenient, where 48EI cancels out.

Your second attempt looks long winded, and I don't want to get caught in that Briar Patch.

The thing you have overlooked in both attempts is that E is a common factor in both terms of the RHS of the original equation. If you want to isolate E, then multiply both sides of the equation by E and divide both sides by δ. You must do this to ALL terms.

1. What is the Transpose Formula?

The transpose formula is a mathematical equation used to switch the positions of rows and columns in a matrix or table. It is represented by the superscript "T" after the matrix, and it allows for easier manipulation and calculation of data.

2. How is the Transpose Formula used in solving problems?

The Transpose Formula is used in solving problems by rearranging the data in a matrix to make it easier to perform calculations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. It is also useful in solving systems of linear equations and finding the inverse of a matrix.

3. What is the difference between the Transpose Formula and the Inverse Formula?

The Transpose Formula and the Inverse Formula are two different mathematical operations. The Transpose Formula involves switching the rows and columns in a matrix, whereas the Inverse Formula involves finding the reciprocal of each element in a matrix. The Inverse Formula is used to solve for the unknown values in a system of linear equations.

4. How do I find the correct solution using the Transpose Formula?

To find the correct solution using the Transpose Formula, first rewrite the given matrix with the rows and columns switched. Then, perform any necessary operations (such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, or division) to solve the problem. Finally, transpose the resulting matrix back to its original form to obtain the correct solution.

5. Can the Transpose Formula be used for any type of matrix?

Yes, the Transpose Formula can be used for any type of matrix, including square matrices, rectangular matrices, and even complex matrices. It is a fundamental operation in linear algebra and is applicable to a wide range of mathematical problems.