Find D in A: Transposition Help

• Thread starter Tweaked9107
  • Start date
In summary, Just need a bit of help with this. A = ( (2 * pi * heat coefficient * length) / Ln(Outside Diameter - Inside Diameter)) X (Inside Temperature - Outside Temperature) where (D-E) is the expression needing clarification.
Tweaked9107
Just need a bit of help with this.

A = ( ( 2 X pi X k X L ) / (Ln(1.041) ) X (D - E)

I know everything except D. How do i find it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Tweaked9107 said:

The expression needs clarification.

Are all the variables scalars? (I presume so)

In that case: step 1 - move everything except (D-E) to the left side and get:

D-E = A Ln(1.041)/( 2 X pi X k X L ) (I switched left and right)
Now add E to both sides.

Hi Tweaked9107! :smile:
Tweaked9107 said:

(please write a small x, or *, for "times" :wink:)

That's of the form A = B/C(D - E) …

multiply both sides by (D - E), then expand that bracket, then shove the E stuff over to the RHS :wink:

In it's actual form it's:

Heat Transfer = ((2 * pi * heat coefficient * length) / Ln(Outside Diameter - Inside Diameter)) X (Inside Temperature - Outside Temperature)

That gives you heat transfer. My problem is i know all the figures for one end of the pipe to give me an answer. But I'm now trying to calculate what the inside temperature is further along the pipe. Whether than takes away any vagueness I am not sure?

Is the D- E in the numerator or denominator of your original fraction? mathman is assuming it is in the numerator, tiny-tim is assuming it is in the denominator.

HallsofIvy said:
Is the D- E in the numerator or denominator of your original fraction? mathman is assuming it is in the numerator, tiny-tim is assuming it is in the denominator.

I'll be perfectly honest. I have no idea what you mean.

Tweaked9107 said:

Your equation is ambiguous in the last term. Is it multiplying the numerator or denominator?

Can you use more parenthesis to remove this ambiguity?

he means, is it on the top or the bottom (of the fraction)? :smile:

(and parentheses are brackets :wink:)

Tweaked9107 said:

He means: is it [tex] A = \frac{2 \pi k L}{\ln(1.041)} (D-E)= \frac{2 \pi k L (D-E)}{\ln(1.041)} [/tex] or is it
[tex] A = \frac{2 \pi k L}{\ln(1.041) (D-E)}?[/tex]

If you mean the first form you should write it as 2 pi k L (D-E)/ln(1.041), but if you mean the second form you should write 2 pi k L/[ln(1.041) (D-E)]. Use brackets.

RGV

The first one was correct yes. So the first reply by mathman was correct. Thanks for your help guys, and sorry for posting in the wrong section.

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of "Find D in A: Transposition Help"?

The purpose of "Find D in A: Transposition Help" is to assist in transposing a given musical piece from one key to another. It specifically helps in identifying the key of D in a musical piece.

2. How does "Find D in A: Transposition Help" work?

"Find D in A: Transposition Help" works by analyzing the notes and chords in a musical piece and determining the key of the piece. It then provides suggestions for transposing the piece to the key of D.

3. Can "Find D in A: Transposition Help" be used for all types of music?

Yes, "Find D in A: Transposition Help" can be used for all types of music as long as the piece is written in standard notation and follows traditional music theory rules.

4. Is "Find D in A: Transposition Help" a free tool?

Yes, "Find D in A: Transposition Help" is a free tool that can be accessed online. There is no cost to use the tool.

5. Can "Find D in A: Transposition Help" also transpose entire songs or just individual musical pieces?

"Find D in A: Transposition Help" is designed to transpose individual musical pieces. However, it can still be used to transpose entire songs by breaking the song into smaller sections and transposing each section separately.