1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transpositions help

1. Apr 19, 2008 #1
    Hello there. Can someone help me understand the following practical physics transpositions. I would like every last detail to be mentioned as i'm not really very sure on this at all.

A submarine has a maximum allowable pressure of 588.6kPa. It is in water at its usual density of 1000kg/m^3 what is the maximum depth this sub can achieve

Well to find out the pressure i need to do Height times Gravitational Pull times Rho.

How do i transpose this so that the height is the subject.

can you answer this with a detailed explanation and give me a few other transpositions with multiplications and divisions with explanations as io need to understand this as im training to become an aircraft engineer.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2008 #2
    what do you mean by transposition? to transpose something means to take it from one place and put it into another.

4. Apr 19, 2008 #3

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hello silk101! Welcome to PF! :smile:

If h*g*rho = pressure, then you "transpose" by dividing both sides by g*rho, giving:

h = pressure/g*rho :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?