Max Depth for Submarine in Water: Practical Physics Transpositions

In summary, a question is asked about the maximum depth a submarine can achieve given its maximum allowable pressure and the density of water. The conversation then discusses transposition and provides an example of how to transpose an equation to solve for a different variable. The summary also mentions the asker's request for detailed explanations and other examples of transposition for their training as an aircraft engineer.
silk101
Hello there. Can someone help me understand the following practical physics transpositions. I would like every last detail to be mentioned as I'm not really very sure on this at all.

A submarine has a maximum allowable pressure of 588.6kPa. It is in water at its usual density of 1000kg/m^3 what is the maximum depth this sub can achieve

Well to find out the pressure i need to do Height times Gravitational Pull times Rho.

How do i transpose this so that the height is the subject.

can you answer this with a detailed explanation and give me a few other transpositions with multiplications and divisions with explanations as io need to understand this as I am training to become an aircraft engineer.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
what do you mean by transposition? to transpose something means to take it from one place and put it into another.

Welcome to PF!

silk101 said:
Well to find out the pressure i need to do Height times Gravitational Pull times Rho.

Hello silk101! Welcome to PF! :smile:

If h*g*rho = pressure, then you "transpose" by dividing both sides by g*rho, giving:

h = pressure/g*rho :smile:

1. What is the maximum depth a submarine can reach in water?

The maximum depth a submarine can reach in water depends on various factors such as the type of submarine, its design, and the depth pressure it can withstand. Generally, most modern submarines can reach depths of 300-500 meters, while some specialized submarines can reach depths of up to 1000 meters.

2. How does the depth pressure affect a submarine?

The deeper a submarine goes, the higher the pressure of the water surrounding it. This pressure can cause structural damage and impede the functioning of various systems on the submarine. Therefore, submarines are designed to withstand and operate under specific depth pressures.

3. How is the maximum depth of a submarine determined?

The maximum depth of a submarine is determined through various calculations and simulations based on its design and materials used. Engineers consider factors such as buoyancy, pressure, and the strength of the submarine's structure to determine its maximum depth capability.

4. Can a submarine go deeper than its maximum depth?

Technically, a submarine can go deeper than its maximum depth, but it would be extremely risky and potentially dangerous. Going beyond the maximum depth can cause the submarine to collapse or face other mechanical failures due to the extreme pressure. Therefore, it is not advisable for a submarine to exceed its maximum depth.

5. Are there any limitations to a submarine's maximum depth?

Yes, there are limitations to a submarine's maximum depth. Apart from the design and materials used, the depth is also limited by the capabilities of the crew and the equipment on board. Additionally, the deeper a submarine goes, the more difficult it becomes to navigate, communicate, and maintain life support systems, making it challenging to operate at extreme depths.