Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transversality Condition with right end point free, subject to integral constraints

1. Sep 25, 2008 #1
    Hi, I've been learning about the calculus of variations this term, and we just covered the transversality condition for an optimization problem with the right end point free, as well as the first necessary condition on the augmented Lagrangian for a problem with integral constraints. I'm wondering what the necessary transversality condition is for a problem with integral contraints with the right end point free. I can't find this information in my textbook or anywhere on the internet, and I have two hunches, though I'm not overwhelmingly confident in either.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2008 #2
    Re: Transversality Condition with right end point free, subject to integral constrain

to put it another way, I wish to know some information about isoperimetric problems with free endpoints, namely the transversality condition at the free end point

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?