Transverse movement of N masses

In summary, the homework statement is asking for a solution to the equation of motion for a system of ##N## particles. The equation of motion looks good to the author. They state that there are possible normal modes with different frequencies. The author proposes using equation (3) to solve for the frequencies of the normal modes. They state that the boundary conditions must be satisfied at all times. The author suggests starting with the boundary condition at n = 0. They then move on to the boundary condition at n = N+1. Finally, they invoke their equation to solve for the frequencies of the normal modes.
mahler1
Homework Statement .

Consider the system of ##N## masses shown in the figure (see picture 1).

a) Using the approximation for small angles, write the equation of transverse movement for the n-th particle.

b) Propose a solution of the form:
##{ψ_n}^{p}(t)=A^{p}\cos(nk^{p}+α^{p})cos(w^{p}t+\phi^{p})## (##p## is in parenthesis in the original statement but I couldn't write it correctly here). Find the dispersion relation and decide whether it depends on the contour conditions.

The attempt at a solution.

For part a), I am making the assumption that ##x_n-x_{n-1}=d##, ##l_0## and ##k## are the natural length and spring constant for all the springs and ##m## is the mass of all the particles. Taking these things into consideration, the equation for the ##n##-th mass is (see picture 2)

(1)##\hat{y})## ##m\ddot{y_n}=-k(a_n-l_0)\sinθ_n+k(a_{n+1}-l_0)\sin_{n+1}##, with

##a_n=\sqrt{(y_n-y_{n-1})^2-d^2}##, ##a_{n+1}=\sqrt{(y_{n+1}-y_n)^2+d^2}##. Now, for small oscillations, I can approximate ##a_n## and ##a_{n+1}## by ##d##, i.e., ##a_n≈d≈a_{n+1}##

so (1) reduces to

(2) ##\hat{y})## ##\ddot{y_n}=-\dfrac{k}{m}(d-l_0)\dfrac{y_n-y_{n-1}}{d}+\dfrac{k}{m}(d-l_0)\dfrac{y_{n+1}-y_n}{d}##

if I call ##{w_0}^2=\dfrac{k}{m}\dfrac{d-l_0}{d}##, then the equation (2) equals to

(3) ##\ddot{y_n}={w_0}^2(y_{n+1}-2y_n+y_{n-1})##

I would like to know if I've done correctly part a). With regard to part b), I don't understand the notation of the proposed solution, to be more specific, I don't understand what ##p## is, is it an index? Could someone explain me what ##\ddot{y_n}## would be just to see what ##p## stands by?

Sorry if this isn't the adequate section for my thread, I didn't know whether to put it here or in another section.

Attachments

• picture 1.jpg
    picture 1.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 418
  • picture 2.jpg
    picture 2.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 384
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello mahler1. Your equation of motion looks good to me.

The problem wants you to find solutions of your equation of motion in the particular form given in the statement of the problem. These types of solutions are called "normal modes". In a normal mode each particle oscillates with the same frequency ##\omega^{(p)}## but the individual particles will have amplitudes that differ from one particle to the next. Each normal mode is like a "standing wave". In solving the problem, you will see that more than one normal mode is possible. The index ##(p)## denotes a particular normal mode: ##p = 1,2,...##. You will discover how many normal modes there are and what their frequencies are.

##\psi_n^{(p)}(t)## is just another notation for your ##y_n(t)##. That is, it represents the displacement of the nth particle as a function of time for the ##p^{th}## normal mode.

So, see if you can make the given form satisfy your equation of motion. You will need to think about the boundary conditions.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
TSny said:
Hello mahler1. Your equation of motion looks good to me.

The problem wants you to find solutions of your equation of motion in the particular form given in the statement of the problem. These types of solutions are called "normal modes". In a normal mode each particle oscillates with the same frequency ##\omega^{(p)}## but the individual particles will have amplitudes that differ from one particle to the next. Each normal mode is like a "standing wave". In solving the problem, you will see that more than one normal mode is possible. The index ##(p)## denotes a particular normal mode: ##p = 1,2,...##. You will discover how many normal modes there are and what their frequencies are.

##\psi_n^{(p)}(t)## is just another notation for your ##y_n(t)##. That is, it represents the displacement of the nth particle as a function of time for the ##p^{th}## normal mode.

So, see if you can make the given form satisfy your equation of motion. You will need to think about the boundary conditions.

Very clear answer, thanks. I've supposed that the two extremes are fixed, i.e., ##y_0(t)=0=y_{N+1}(t)##.

##y_{N+1}(t)=0## if and only if ##0=A^{(p)}\cos((N+1)k^{(p)}+α^{(p)})\cos(\phi^{(p)})##. From here, I could set ##\phi^{(p)}=\dfrac{\pi}{2}##.

Now, using that ##y_0(t)=0## and that ##\phi^{(p)}=\dfrac{\pi}{2}##, I get that ##0=0=A^{(p)}\cos(α^{(p)})\cos(\dfrac{\pi}{2})##, so I would also conclude that ##α^{(p)}=\dfrac{\pi}{2}##.

As you've said, I am going to have ##N## different frequencies corresponding to each normal mode. I am having trouble to find the form of each ##\omega^{(p)}##, I think I must use equation (3) but I don't know how to. Could you help me with that?

mahler1 said:
I've supposed that the two extremes are fixed, i.e., ##y_0(t)=0=y_{N+1}(t)##.

OK. Good. Note that these boundary conditions must be satisfied at all times t, not just t = 0. If you think about it, the phase constant ##\phi^{(p)}## determines the phase of the normal mode vibration at time ##t = 0##. But there is no restriction on this initial phase. So, you will not be able to determine a value of ##\phi^{(p)}##.

I suggest starting with the boundary condition at n = 0. Make sure this condition holds at all times t.

Then move on to the boundary condition at n = N+1.

Finally, invoke your equation (3).

Dear student,

Thank you for your response. Your solution for part a) looks correct to me. You have correctly applied the small angle approximation and obtained an equation that describes the transverse movement of the n-th particle in terms of its neighboring particles.

In regards to part b), the notation here is a bit confusing. It seems that ##p## is just a general index, perhaps to indicate that there can be multiple solutions for the transverse movement of the particles. The notation for the proposed solution is also a bit unclear, but I believe that ##\ddot{y_n}## in this case would be the second derivative of the transverse position of the n-th particle with respect to time. This is because the general form of a cosine function is given by ##A\cos(wt+\phi)##, where ##A## is the amplitude, ##w## is the angular frequency, and ##\phi## is the phase. By taking the second derivative of this function, you can obtain an equation for the acceleration of the particle, which is what is being described by ##\ddot{y_n}## in the proposed solution.

I hope this helps clarify things for you. Keep up the good work in your studies of transverse movement of N masses!

1. What is transverse movement of N masses?

Transverse movement of N masses refers to the motion of multiple objects in a direction perpendicular to the direction of the applied force. This type of movement is commonly observed in systems with multiple interacting objects, such as a pendulum or a system of connected springs.

2. How is transverse movement of N masses different from longitudinal movement?

Transverse movement involves motion in a perpendicular direction, while longitudinal movement involves motion in the same direction as the applied force. In transverse movement, the objects may also move in a circular or elliptical path, while in longitudinal movement, the objects typically move in a straight line.

3. What factors affect the transverse movement of N masses?

The transverse movement of N masses is affected by factors such as the mass of the objects, the force applied, and the strength and direction of any external forces acting on the system. The stiffness of the connecting medium, such as a spring or string, can also impact the transverse movement.

4. How is transverse movement of N masses used in real-world applications?

Transverse movement of N masses is used in various real-world applications such as in mechanical systems, electrical systems, and even in biological systems. Examples include the motion of a swinging pendulum, the vibration of guitar strings, and the movement of molecules in a gas.

5. What are some important principles to understand regarding transverse movement of N masses?

Some important principles to understand regarding transverse movement of N masses include the conservation of energy, the relationship between force and acceleration, and the concept of resonance. It is also important to consider the effects of damping, friction, and other external factors on the transverse movement of N masses.