Calculating Transverse Velocity of a Star

In summary, the transverse velocity of the star can be calculated using the formula vt = d x sin(mu), where d is the distance to the star and mu is the proper motion in seconds of arc per year. The units to be used for the distance can be either in meters or kilometers, while the units for the velocity can be meters per second, kilometers per year, or astronomical units (AU). It is important to use the correct units for accurate results.
grscott_2000
Hi, I've been asked to find the transverse velocity of a star. It has a proper motion of 0.249 arcsec/yr and it is at a distance of 23.8 parsecs.

Now I am happy with the formula to use (vt = d x sin(mu)) but I am not sure of the units I am supposed to be using. I've plugged these values straigh in but the result doesn't seem correct.

Can anyone perhaps tell me what units are supposed to be used here?

Regards

Physics news on Phys.org
1 Parsec = 3.086 × 10^16 meters

Make a right triangle with one angle of 0 degrees, 0 minutes, and 0.249 seconds (0.249"). The length of hypotenuse will be essential the same as the length of the adjacent side, so it doesn't matter which one you choose to be the distance to the star (oh, meters or km works fine). Do a little trig to find the distance the star moves in a year.

Units could be m/s, km/year, m/year.

… Au … ?

grscott_2000 said:
im not sure of the units I am supposed to be using. I've plugged these values straigh in but the result doesn't seem correct.

Can anyone perhaps tell me what units are supposed to be used here?

Hi grscott_2000! :smile:

I suspect you're supposed to do it in AU (astronomical units) … see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parsec#Calculating_the_value_of_a_parsec

Last edited:

1. What is the formula for calculating transverse velocity of a star?

The formula for calculating transverse velocity of a star is v = d/t, where v is the transverse velocity in km/s, d is the distance the star has moved perpendicular to our line of sight, and t is the time it took for the star to move that distance.

2. How do you measure the distance a star has moved?

The distance a star has moved can be measured using astrometry, which is the precise measurement of the position and motion of celestial bodies. This can be done using telescopes and specialized instruments.

3. What is the unit of measurement for transverse velocity of a star?

The unit of measurement for transverse velocity of a star is kilometers per second (km/s).

4. Can transverse velocity be negative?

Yes, transverse velocity can be negative. This indicates that the star is moving in the opposite direction, perpendicular to our line of sight. Positive and negative velocities can also be used to determine the direction of the star's motion.

5. How is transverse velocity related to radial velocity?

Transverse velocity and radial velocity are both components of a star's total velocity. Transverse velocity refers to the motion of the star perpendicular to our line of sight, while radial velocity refers to the motion of the star towards or away from us. The total velocity can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, with the transverse and radial velocities as the two sides of a right triangle.