1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transverse Wave on a String

1. Dec 11, 2016 #1
    < Mentor Note -- thread moved to HH from the technical physics forums, so no HH Template is shown >

A transverse wave on a string has an amplitude of 16cm, a wavenumber of 5.7m-1, and a frequency of 39Hz. What is the propagation speed of that wave?
    (a) 6.84 m/s
    (b) 39.2 m/s
    (c) 43 m/s
    (d) 6.24 m/s
    (e) 6.88 m/s
    This is a question on my physics study guide packet and while we have done wave problems in the past it was never anything like this. First: can someone explain what a wavenumber is. Second: what is propagation speed. Third: which equation should I be using. I thought maybe xmcos(ωt+Φ) but I don't know what the phase angle would be. I'm very confused, I would just like to have a basic understanding of what this is asking.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2016 #2

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi there
    welcome to PF :smile:

I have asked for this to be moved to homework section

from what you have studied so far, show us some of your thoughts

Dave

4. Dec 11, 2016 #3
    Oh I didn't know there was one, sorry.

5. Dec 11, 2016 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In particular: do you have an expression for the speed of a wave on a string ?

6. Dec 11, 2016 #5
    wave speed? I have v=ω/k=λ/T=λf I believe but what I don't know is whether or not that's what propagation speed is.

7. Dec 11, 2016 #6

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It is the good one in your case :smile:

8. Dec 11, 2016 #7
    What do you mean by "the good one." I don't understand.

9. Dec 11, 2016 #8
    Oh I got it. The variable k is wavenumber, my professor never made that clear. So using:
    ω=2π/T, T being the inverse of 39Hz or T=.0256
    ω=245.04
    v=ω/k=43m/s
    so the answer is c.
    This would've been a whole lot easier if that had been clear in my notes. Oops.

10. Dec 11, 2016 #9
    Regarding your question about wavenumber, wavenumber is the number of waves that fit in a unit space. In other words it is 1/wavelength. Usually for convenience instead of how many waves per unit length it is defined as how many radians per unit length, that is

k = 2 π/λ

This is a convenience in that it simplifies a lot of equations and it is also proportional to energy.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted