Transverse Wave on Flexible String Please help.

In summary, the conversation discusses the determination of the period of oscillation for a standing transverse wave on a flexible string with given parameters of length, tension, and mass. The process involves converting mass to kilograms, determining the wavelength, and using the formula for velocity to find the fundamental frequency. Assistance is provided with the use of the formula and a helpful link for further understanding.
Tensionfreek
Transverse Wave on Flexible String! Please help.

1. The diagram represents a snapshot of a standing transverse wave on a flexible string taken when the displacement is at a maximum. The string is 0.65 m long with tension 11.00 N. The total mass of the string is 8.11 g. Find the period of the oscillation.

2. converted mass to kg so .00811 kg Tension = 11N and L=0.65 m

3. i computed λ=2L/4 = 2(.65)/4 = .325 m

my v=f*λ which is the part i am currently stuck on because i cannot seem to figure out how to determine the fundamental frequency of a string without knowing the velocity first...

Attachments

• prob19_stand8.gif
    prob19_stand8.gif
    2.8 KB · Views: 9,582
Physics news on Phys.org

i need an answer by at least 1130PM tonight! i have been trying this problem for hours and still have nothing...

See,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vibrating_string#Wave

The velocity squared, V^2 = T/rho = tension/mass density

mass density = mass / length

Also, the velocity = wavelength * frequency , so,

velocity/wavelength = frequency

Hope this helps.

1. What is a transverse wave on a flexible string?

A transverse wave on a flexible string is a type of mechanical wave that travels along a string as a series of crests and troughs. The particles of the string move perpendicular to the direction of the wave's propagation.

2. How is the speed of a transverse wave on a flexible string determined?

The speed of a transverse wave on a flexible string is determined by the tension in the string and the mass per unit length of the string. It can be calculated using the equation v = √(T/µ), where v is the wave speed, T is the tension, and µ is the mass per unit length.

3. What factors can affect the amplitude of a transverse wave on a flexible string?

The amplitude of a transverse wave on a flexible string can be affected by the amount of energy put into the string, the tension in the string, and the length of the string. Additionally, the frequency of the wave can also affect the amplitude.

4. How does the wavelength of a transverse wave on a flexible string change with different frequencies?

The wavelength of a transverse wave on a flexible string is inversely proportional to the frequency. This means that as the frequency increases, the wavelength decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the equation λ = v/f, where λ is the wavelength, v is the wave speed, and f is the frequency.

5. Can a transverse wave on a flexible string undergo reflection and interference?

Yes, a transverse wave on a flexible string can undergo both reflection and interference. When a wave reaches the end of the string, it can bounce back and reflect off the boundary, resulting in a reflected wave. Additionally, when two or more waves meet on the string, they can interfere with each other, either constructively or destructively, resulting in a new wave pattern.