1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transverse Wave Problem

1. Dec 3, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The function y(x, t) = (15.0 cm) cos([tex]\pi[/tex]x - 12[tex]\pi[/tex]t), with x in meters and t in seconds, describes a wave on a taut string. What is the transverse speed for a point on the string at an instant when that point has the displacement y = 12.0 cm?

2. Relevant equations
    I know that the equation of the wave is given above and the max transverse velocity is w*A and the max transverse acceleration is w^2*A and I know how to get the velocity of the wave in the x direction (propagation)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm not sure where to even start, I think I need to find where 12.0cm is in reference to either distance or time, then I could just plug it in to the wave equation, I'm just not sure how to get there. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2007 #2
    please guys! i have a final on this friday! anyone?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?