Calculating Properties of a Transverse Wave on a Rope

In summary, the conversation discussed finding the amplitude, period, frequency, wavelength, and speed of propagation for a transverse wave on a rope, given by the equation y(x,t) = (0.710 cm) cos pi [(0.400 cm^-1)x + (500 s^-1)t]. The equation y(x,t) = A cos (kx-wt) was suggested as a more appropriate form to use. The amplitude, period, and frequency could be derived from the given values, while the wavelength and speed of propagation could be found using the values for angular velocity (w) and wave number (k).
lordrrr

Homework Statement

A transverse wave on a rope is given by the following equation.
y(x, t) = ( 0.710 cm ) cos pi [(0.400 cm^-1)x + (500 s^-1)t]

From this, find the amplitude, period, frequency, wavelength and the speed of propogation.

Homework Equations

Well, I know that v=f*lambda. I also know the general equation for sinusodal models in the -x direction:

y(x,t)= A*cos2pi[(x/lamda)+(t/period)]

(I choose to use this particular equation because it ties in with the one given to me)

The Attempt at a Solution

This problem is driving me nuts. I should be able to just take out the units that it aligns with and get that for the answer, right? I took out the 0.71, so I found the amplitude. I found the frequency by dividing 500 by 2. I found the period by dividing 1/250. But I can't for the life of me find the wavelength or the speed of propogation, can anyone please help? Thanks very much!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can anyone please help? I'm so lost.

The form y(x,t) = A cos (kx-wt) is more appropriate here...k is equal to 2PI/lambda and
w = vk. So your amplitude is given, period and frequency can be derived from the value given for angular velocity (w), wavelength derives from the value for k...and your speed of propagation is found using angular velocity (w) and wave number (k). Good Luck!

1. What is a transverse wave?

A transverse wave is a type of wave in which the particles of the medium move perpendicular to the direction of the wave. This means that the particles move up and down or side to side, rather than in the same direction as the wave is moving.

2. What are some examples of transverse waves?

Some examples of transverse waves include light waves, electromagnetic waves, and water waves. These waves all exhibit the characteristic of the particles moving perpendicular to the direction of the wave.

3. How do you calculate the speed of a transverse wave?

The speed of a transverse wave can be calculated by dividing the distance the wave travels by the time it takes to travel that distance. This is represented by the formula v = d/t, where v is the speed, d is the distance, and t is the time.

4. What factors affect the amplitude of a transverse wave?

The amplitude of a transverse wave is affected by the energy of the source of the wave, the distance the wave has traveled, and the properties of the medium through which the wave is traveling. For example, a larger energy source will produce a wave with a larger amplitude.

5. How do transverse waves differ from longitudinal waves?

Transverse waves and longitudinal waves differ in the direction in which the particles of the medium move. In a transverse wave, the particles move perpendicular to the direction of the wave, while in a longitudinal wave, the particles move parallel to the direction of the wave.