1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transverse wave pulse

1. May 4, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. The attempt at a solution

i thought it was number one...as we have -4.5m/s in the equation indicating that the pulse is moving in the negative direction.. i submitted the answer.unfortunately it was incorrect..

Can you help me with this..if possible.
    Last edited: May 4, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2007 #2
    What about number 7? The dimensions are wrong in number one, because you have [itex]x^2 - vt[/itex], so [itex]x^2[/itex] has units of [itex](ms^{-1})^2[/itex] and vt units of [itex]ms^{-1}[/itex].
  4. May 4, 2007 #3
    Thank you Nylex for ur help....i submitted the answer (number 7)but.....--->its wrong.
    i thought again about the dimensions..i found that number two also has correct dimensions. i submitted it..and its correct.
    my reasoning (not sure if it's correct)..that the negative outside the bracket when multiplied but +4.5t,becomes negative ..indicating the negative direction of the pulse.

Correct solution (Number 2)
    Last edited: May 4, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?