1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transverse wave question

1. Oct 9, 2011 #1
    [itex][/itex]1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A transverse sinusoidal wave is moving along a string in the positive direction of an x axis with a speed of 80 m/s. At t = 0, the string particle at x = 0 has a transverse displacement of 4.2 cm from its equilibrium position and is not moving. The maximum transverse speed of the string particle at x = 0 is 18 m/s.
    It asks to solve for f,λ,[itex]y_{m}[/itex],k,ω, and [itex]\phi[/itex] in the wave formula

2. Relevant equations

y(x, t) = [itex]y_{m}[/itex] sin(kx ± ωt + [itex]\phi[/itex])

3. The attempt at a solution
    Since it says at t and x = 0 the displacement is 4.2cm and stopped moving i assumed that meant that it had reached its max displacement. I then used [itex]u_m=ωy_m[/itex]
    for the max transverse speed and solved for ω, which i put into the formula
    f=[itex]\frac{ω}{2\pi}[/itex] which gave me [itex]0.00367s^-1[/itex], and solving for wavelength using [itex]λ=\frac{v}{f}[/itex] gave me 21827m which doesn't seem right, i'm pretty sure i'm doing something wrong, any help would be appreciated.

thanks

Oh and btw i converted all the cm to m before calculating.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2011 #2
    You wrote,

u_m=ωy_m (why can't I copy and paste your formulas intact? Oh well)

Did you mix units, the displacement was given in cm and the velocity in m/s ??? We want everything in cm or m.

4. Oct 10, 2011 #3
    Yes i converted 4.2cm to 0.042m, then divided 18m/s by 0.042m to get a very large ω value of 428.6

5. Oct 10, 2011 #4
    Ok, i calculated again and i think i switched the denominator with the numerator in something. Seems to be more reasonable now.
    Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook