What Is the Maximum Transverse Velocity at x=0 for a Moving Wave Pulse?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the expression for transverse velocity as a function of x and t, as well as determining the maximum transverse velocity at the point x=0. There is some confusion around the term "transverse" and how it applies to the given wave problem, but ultimately it refers to the displacement perpendicular to the direction of propagation. The solution involves substituting values and finding the maximum vertical velocity.
Lavabug

Homework Statement

I'll try to translate the problem as faithfully as I can:

A wave pulse moves along the positive OX axis. Its form when t=0 is
f(x) = y0/[1 + (x/a)^2]
Find the expression for the transverse velocity as a function of x and t.
At the point x=0, what will be its max transverse velocity, if v = 210m/s (I assume this is phase velocity), y0 = 1.3cm, and a = 5cm?

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first part, should I substitute x for (x -vt) and take the partial with respect to t of the whole function? That should give me the expression for "vertical" velocity. Then I'd simply substitute x=0, v, y0 and a to get the velocity?

I thought "transverse" meant along the x-axis. The question looks really ambiguous and misleading but I think that's what's being asked, any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
Transverse means that the displacement of the "disturbance" is perpendicular to the direction of propagation. This wave travels along the x axis, in positive direction, the displacement is in the y direction. Imagine that the wave travels along a string, and the particles of the string move up and down. You can find the vertical velocity as you outlined. Do the differentiation with respect to time, substitute x=0 and the given values of v and y0, and find the maximum.

ehild

1. What is a transverse wave?

A transverse wave is a type of wave that propagates perpendicular to the direction of its motion. This means that the particles in the medium through which the wave is traveling move up and down or side to side, rather than in the same direction as the wave.

2. How is the velocity of a transverse wave calculated?

The velocity of a transverse wave is calculated by multiplying the wavelength of the wave by its frequency. This can also be expressed as the product of the wave's amplitude and its angular frequency.

3. What factors affect the velocity of a transverse wave?

The velocity of a transverse wave is affected by the properties of the medium through which the wave is traveling, such as its density, elasticity, and temperature. The wavelength and frequency of the wave also play a role in determining its velocity.

4. How does the velocity of a transverse wave compare to that of a longitudinal wave?

The velocity of a transverse wave is typically faster than that of a longitudinal wave. This is because transverse waves rely on the elasticity of a medium for their propagation, while longitudinal waves can travel through any type of material, including fluids and gases.

5. Can the velocity of a transverse wave change?

Yes, the velocity of a transverse wave can change if the properties of the medium through which it is traveling change. For example, if the density or elasticity of the medium changes, the velocity of the wave will also change. The frequency and wavelength of the wave can also affect its velocity.