1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transverse waves with tension

1. Jan 16, 2005 #1
    A telephone cord is 4.00 m long and has a mass of 0.300 kg. A transverse wave pulse is produced by plucking one end of the taut cord. The pulse makes three trips down and back along the cord in 0.700 s. What is the tension in the cord?

ok, this problem seems very easy and straightforward but i am getting it wrong..i have absolute no idea why ..i hate physics cant wait till i finish this damn course...

anyways....

t=time
    T=tension
    u=mass/length
    L=total length

t=L*sqrt(u/T)

simple, and just solve for T right??? But i am getting it wrong why??

t=.7 sec
    u=(.300 kg/4 m)
    L= 3*(4 m)

i have all the variables but T and solve for T and get 22.03 N

but the answer is wrong does any 1 know where i went wrong thx

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2005 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes. What does 't' represent in your formula ? You said it is the time, but it's the time taken for what ? Where did you find that formula ?

Read this part again, carefully :

4. Jan 23, 2011 #3
    I'm also doing a similar problem.
    An ethernet cable is 4.10 m long and has a mass of 0.210 kg. A transverse pulse is produced by plucking one end of the taut cable. The pulse makes four trips down and back along the cable in 0.815 s. What is the tension in the cable?

please help!

5. May 10, 2012 #4
    I am not positive of the answer to your question, but one thing that might help is its actually the square root of T/u tension divided by the linear density not linear density divided by tension

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?