1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transverse Waves

1. Apr 18, 2007 #1
    Please help!!!

Having a little difficulty with a homework question and concept

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    y = 2.28sin(0.0276pi x + 2.42pi t)

Find the amplitude, wavelength, frequency, speed and maximum transverse speed.

3. The attempt at a solution

Definitely correct answers

A = 2.28cm
    Wavelength = 72.46 cm
    Frequency = 1.21 Hz

Questionable answers

Speed = 87.68 cm/s
    Max transverse speed = ??????

The speed should be w/k which would give 2.42pi/0.0276pi = 87.68 cm/s

The max transverse velocity though....would that be when the trig function of cos is equal to 1 in this equation u = -wAcos(kx-wt) ????
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The speed is correct. Transverse speed is when dy/dt is a max. I think you are pretty much nailing that as well.
  4. Apr 19, 2007 #3
    Apologies...still not quite sure.....would I use the w and A i know multiplied with cos(kx-wt) to get my answer.....so if cos(kx-wt)=1, then max transverse speed would be -wA???
  5. Apr 19, 2007 #4

Homework Helper

If your displacement function is a sin wave, it's not possible that your velocity "function" be a constant of 87.68cm/s as you calculated. Your speed would be a function as well.

As you know, velocity is the change of displacement over time (i.e. dy/dt), so by differentiating the function for y, you will get a the velocity function (which in this case is a cosine function). That cosine function will allow you to calculate the speed at any location x and time t.

To calculate the maximum speed, we take a look at the velocity function. If you do your calculus right, the equation should look something like:

v = B cos (Cx + Dt)

There is an infinite possibility for the values of x and t, so we can assume that hthe cosine can return any value. The maximum value however of a cosine function is 1. So what does that tell you about your maximum velocity?
  6. Apr 19, 2007 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes. Except I'd call the maximum speed +wA. Why would you say minus?
  7. Apr 19, 2007 #6
    Thanks much....makes a lot more sense.....appreciate the help
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?