Trapezoidal Rule Homework: Integrate 0 to 2 x^3

• Thread starter mxthuy95
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses determining and evaluating a definite integral using the trapezoidal approximation. The original equation is x^3 and the limits are 0 to 2. The speaker used the trapezoidal rule with n=20 and obtained a value of 4.0025. They believed this to be greater than the actual integral due to the increasing and concave up nature of the graph. However, the teacher found this to be incorrect and it is possible that the mistake was using n=20 instead of n=40.
mxthuy95

Homework Statement

Determine and evaluate a definite integral for which (1/40( (0)^3 + 2(.05)^3 +2(.1)^3 +... 2(1.95)^3 + (2)^3 )) is a trapezoidal approximation. Which is greater, the integral or trapezoidal approximation why

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So i figure that the the original equation is x^3 and the limits are 0 to 2 so i got this integral

∫ X^3 = 4.0025 using trapezoidal rule with n=20 on my Riemann sum program. I said that this is

greater than the actual integral because the graph is increasing and concave up. I check with my

teacher and it was wrong. So where did i go wrong.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
I said that [the trapezium approx for ##\int_0^2x^3dx##] is greater than the actual integral because the graph is increasing and concave up.
That's what I'd have said too.
Have you correctly identified the function being integrated?
Have you use the correct reasoning?

(1/40( (0)^3 + 2(.05)^3 +2(.1)^3 +... 2(1.95)^3 + (2)^3 ))
... that would be: $$\frac{1}{40}\left (
0^3+2(0.05)^3+2(0.1)^3+\cdots + 2(1.95)^3+(2.0)^3
\right )$$

Compare with the trapezoidal rule:
$$\int_a^b f(x)dx \approx \frac{b-a}{2N}\left ( f(x_1)+2f(x_2)+\cdots +2f(x_{N-1})+f(x_N) \right )$$... I'm having trouble faulting this.
Perhaps the teacher means something else?

" ... with n=20 ..."

n = 40, not 20. That's the only thing I can see.'wrong'.

It could be that simple.

1. What is the Trapezoidal Rule?

The Trapezoidal Rule is a numerical method used to approximate the value of a definite integral. It involves dividing the region under the curve into trapezoids and then calculating the area of each trapezoid to estimate the total area under the curve.

2. How do you use the Trapezoidal Rule to solve a problem?

To use the Trapezoidal Rule, you first divide the interval of integration into smaller subintervals. Then, calculate the area of each trapezoid using the formula (1/2)(b1 + b2)h, where b1 and b2 are the lengths of the two parallel sides of the trapezoid and h is the height. Finally, add up the areas of all the trapezoids to get an approximation of the integral.

3. What is the formula for the Trapezoidal Rule?

The formula for the Trapezoidal Rule is h/2 * (f(a) + 2f(x1) + 2f(x2) + ... + f(b)), where h is the width of each subinterval, a and b are the lower and upper limits of integration, and x1, x2, etc. are the points within the interval where the function f(x) is evaluated.

4. Why is the Trapezoidal Rule used instead of other numerical methods?

The Trapezoidal Rule is used because it is relatively simple and straightforward to use, and it provides a good approximation of the integral without requiring a large number of subintervals. It is also more accurate than other methods, such as the Midpoint Rule, for functions that are not linear.

5. How accurate is the Trapezoidal Rule?

The accuracy of the Trapezoidal Rule depends on the number of subintervals used and the smoothness of the function being integrated. Generally, the more subintervals used, the more accurate the approximation will be. However, the Trapezoidal Rule is not exact and will always have some degree of error.