Should I Remove Abandoned Beer Bottles from the Ocean Floor?

• Thread starter lisab
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Home
In summary: I'm glad that I am slowly becoming more aware of the problem.I participate in a local scuba lake clean up last year. We found tons of old pop tops (yeah, the original teardrop ones), that were falling apart. We disposed of them, and nothing was using them as a home, so that thought never crossed my mind.I live on the Gulf Coast and we have tons of artificial reefs, so I can understand your thoughts about the objects now being a useful. Maybe now when I go diving I'll think twice and chuck my bottles over the side instead of selfishly disposing of them.Thanks for
lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
When I was scuba diving last weekend, I noticed several beer bottles on the bottom. They had been there a long time, and were encrusted with barnacles and limpets...and who knows what was living inside.

If I had found a fresh bottle (with nothing living in or on it), I'd have picked it up immediately and cursed the litterbug jerk who tossed it there. I left these in place, since they were colonized. But I'm unsure about my choice. I suppose they pose a small threat of entrapment for something that somehow gets stuck inside. They also might provide shelter, too.

In any case, they aren't part of the natural environment. Should I have removed them?

Physics news on Phys.org
i think they'll be fine. glass is pretty inert. coralline algae will grow on it. and everything else. about the only way it differs from real reef rocks is that critters that bore like some bivalves won't be able to secrete acid and bore into it.

but yeah, pretty soon it'll be invisible.

This thread was misleading.

lisab said:
In any case, they aren't part of the natural environment.
It seems they are ! :smile:

I thought the name was perfectly descriptive :biggrin:! Well then how should I have named it?

I know, I know...Jimmy is a fine name.

I'd just consider it a very small artificial reef. :approve:

Though I wouldn't suggest people throw beer bottles into the reef (they're still idiots for doing it, IMO), I wouldn't have touched them in those circumstances either.

I thought you were talking about my front yard. It's not littered with beer bottles, but broken bits of plastic toys. I hate "Made in China." Quite a different thread.

Strange, I correctly guessed what the thread was about from the subject line, things living in trash. Did it used to be something different? Beer bottles strewn about are unsightly, and pose a danger if they shatter, but I don't know the other environmental considerations. They're probably no worse in the water than on land.

Chi Meson said:
I thought you were talking about my front yard. It's not littered with beer bottles, but broken bits of plastic toys. I hate "Made in China." Quite a different thread.
Perhaps someday you'll meet my daugher, Maiden Japan.

Just like you said, if they had been new I'd certainly consider them trash and pick them up.

I participated in a local scuba lake clean up last year. We found tons of old pop tops (yeah, the original teardrop ones), that were falling apart. We disposed of them, and nothing was using them as a home, so that thought never crossed my mind.

On the other hand, I live on the Gulf Coast and we have tons of artificial reefs, so I can understand your thoughts about the objects now being a useful. Maybe now when I go diving I'll think twice and chuck my bottles over the side instead of selfishly disposing of them. THANKS LISAB!

I hate trash and littering. Still, if a beer bottle has become home to some critters on a reef, I would hesitate to disturb it.

Your predicament reminds me of a Patric McManus story about an old-timer who was outraged when some do-gooders hauled an old car out of a stream that had been sheltering some nice big fish, and ruined his favorite fishing hole.

AFAIK, glass is not really an issue beyond the economics of recylcing it, and the energy involved. I think it's also about context... if someone dumped a case of bottles, I'd clean it... if its one in a constructed reef... that's a home in the making.

Plastic is a different animal altogether, and general detritus which may be consumed. After all, this is why ships are scuttled to make artificial reefs.

Lisa,

Nice to hear that you care about the environment, I am sure you have heard of http://www.worldculturepictorial.com/blog/content/fimmaker-richard-pain-swim-great-pacific-garbage-patch" .
See thumbnail, I am no tree hugger, but must admit the thought of this gives me pause, as I think it does most reasonable people.

Rhody...:frown: :uhh:

Attachments

• trash.jpg
    trash.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 407
Last edited by a moderator:
rhody said:
Lisa,

Nice to hear that you care about the environment, I am sure you have heard of http://www.worldculturepictorial.com/blog/content/fimmaker-richard-pain-swim-great-pacific-garbage-patch" See thumbnail:

Yes, I have heard of it. In fact, I worked a summer fishing black cod off the Aleutian chain in Alaska, and on remote, uninhabited islands I'd find garbage on the beach - sometimes lots of garbage. Back then (the mid-to-late 80s), most of the garbage was styrofoam cups. This was before bottled water became popular - now most floating garbage is discarded plastic water bottles.

Thanks for that link! In a couple of pics there, there are what look like fishing nets...yikes! Those have to be the worst. They're appropriately called ghost nets:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghost_net

They're dangerous to divers, too.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Should I be concerned about the environmental impact of abandoned beer bottles on the ocean floor?

Yes, abandoned beer bottles on the ocean floor can have a negative impact on the environment. These bottles can take hundreds of years to break down, and in the meantime, they can harm marine life and disrupt the natural ecosystem of the ocean floor.

2. Can removing abandoned beer bottles from the ocean floor help improve the health of marine life?

Yes, removing abandoned beer bottles from the ocean floor can help improve the health of marine life. These bottles can pose a physical threat to marine animals, and their presence can also affect water quality and disrupt food chains. By removing them, we can help protect and preserve the health of marine life.

3. Is it safe for me to remove abandoned beer bottles from the ocean floor myself?

No, it is not safe for individuals to remove abandoned beer bottles from the ocean floor without proper training and equipment. The ocean floor can be a hazardous environment, and removing debris can disturb delicate ecosystems. It is best to leave this task to trained professionals.

4. What can I do to help reduce the number of abandoned beer bottles on the ocean floor?

One way to help reduce the number of abandoned beer bottles on the ocean floor is to properly dispose of them on land. This means recycling them or throwing them away in designated trash and recycling bins. Additionally, supporting organizations and initiatives that promote ocean conservation can also help reduce marine debris.

5. Are there any benefits to leaving abandoned beer bottles on the ocean floor?

No, there are no benefits to leaving abandoned beer bottles on the ocean floor. These bottles can harm marine life and disrupt the natural balance of the ocean floor. Removing them can help protect the environment and promote a healthier ecosystem for marine animals.