Any Must-See Places in California for My Upcoming Trip?

In summary: As for nightlife, you might want to check out the North Beach district in San Francisco or the Telegraph Hill district in Berkeley.
AKG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I'm planning a little trip in April to California and I've been asking around a lot to get suggestions for things to do while I'm there. I figure I should ask here too. My plan is to spend one day driving from San Jose to Santa Cruz, Monterey, Gilroy, and back to San Jose, stopping for meals of course, maybe spend some time at the beach, and ideally do some nice hiking. That night and the day after, I'm visiting San Francisco, and the day after I'll be in Berkeley, but mainly I'll be checking out the school.

Is there anything in these cities I should really make a point to see?
What's good hiking in Santa Cruz/Monterey?
Is there any good hiking in SF itself (I won't have access to a car when I'm in SF, so I can't drive out of the city anywhere)
What's good in terms of SF nightlife on a saturday night?

Any other random tips or suggestion, I'll be more than happy to have them.

Physics news on Phys.org
The Monterey Bay Aquarium is very worthwhile. It's one of the premier aquariums in the world, and located right on the bay.

http://www.mbayaq.org/

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys. I will visit the Aquarium. I might check out the Redwoods, depending on various factors.

Santa Cruz - visit Mystery Spot
Monterey - the aquarium

Since you're driving down highway 1 it might not be a bad idea to extend a little past Monterey and go the Carmel (where the beach is great). Also, if you've got some flexibility in how you get to the City from San Jose, take 280 to highway 1 (through rte 92) and go through Half Moon Bay and also try and stop over at the Moss Beach Distillery.

There's some great hiking in Big Basin and that vicinity - or for that matter, in most of the parks just west of the south bay (near Cupertino).

1. What is the best time of year to travel to California?

The best time to visit California depends on your preferences and which part of the state you plan to visit. Generally, the summer months of June to August are the busiest and most expensive due to peak tourist season. Spring (March to May) and fall (September to November) offer pleasant weather and fewer crowds. Winter (December to February) can be a good time to visit for skiing and winter activities.

2. What are the must-see attractions in California?

California has many famous attractions, including the Golden Gate Bridge, Disneyland, Hollywood, Yosemite National Park, and the beaches of Santa Monica and Malibu. Other popular destinations include San Diego, San Francisco, Napa Valley, and Lake Tahoe.

3. What is the best way to get around in California?

The most convenient way to travel around California is by car. The state has an extensive highway system, and many attractions are spread out. You can also use public transportation options such as buses, trains, and subways in major cities like Los Angeles and San Francisco.

4. Are there any safety concerns for travelers in California?

California is generally a safe state for travelers, but it is always advisable to take precautions. Be aware of your surroundings, especially in crowded tourist areas, and keep your valuables secure. It is also essential to follow all traffic laws and be cautious when hiking or participating in outdoor activities.

5. What are some must-try foods in California?

California is known for its diverse food scene, and there are many must-try dishes. Some popular options include In-N-Out Burger, fish tacos, avocado toast, and California-style sushi. You can also find many organic and farm-to-table restaurants in the state, as well as delicious Mexican and Asian fusion cuisine.