Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Travel to Parallel Universes

1. Sep 29, 2009 #1
    I was watching a show called "http://www.history.com/shows.do?action=detail&episodeId=373152" [Broken]" on History Channel. It is claimed that someday it may be possible to travel to parallel universes. Does this not violate law of conservation of energy, mass and information? Would this action essentially be subtracting mass, destroying, from this universe and, adding, creating mass, in another? Also, once information left this universe, there would be no way to reconstruct it -- Information is Lost. I know how hard "Mr. Leonard Susskind Ph.D." argued against such phenomena with "Mr. Stephen Hawking Ph.D." on this.

Is it a case of overly simplifying the subjecvt to the point that it doesn't make any sense; as per usual on History, Discovery and Discovery Science Channels? Or am I in error and there is no conservation issue related to traveling to parallel universes (and say the traveller died there and did not return?)

Would the conversation be shared between the universes? Should Conversation be extended to parallel universes?

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2009 #2

DaveC426913

Gold Member

It's more a case of wild speculation.

The laws of conservation really only apply to the universe as we understand it. Speculate beyond that and you'll be writing new rules as you go.

4. Sep 29, 2009 #3

Dale

Staff: Mentor

I like the FAQ http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/GR/energy_gr.html" [Broken]. It does a good job of treating a very complicated subject at a fairly basic level.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  5. Sep 29, 2009 #4
    So, are you saying that travel to Parallel Universes may be highly unlikely because they violate conservation laws? I would feel better if this is the case else they appear to rewriting the rules.

Should I complain about this show because i feel it is presenting incredulous information. There was no attempt to explain complications of conversavation laws. I once thought the scientists in this series were high knowledgable but now I don't know. Or perhaps they feel they can get away with fairy tales because they feel the general public is dumb. I wish a bunch of ppl would write them about this I like to watch science documentaries but this was more sci fi. I truely loved "The Elegant Universe" series on nova they explained the gotchas and talked to viewers as if they had at least a moist green pea for a brain. :(

Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
  6. Sep 29, 2009 #5

DaveC426913

Gold Member

No, I'm saying that travel to Parallel Universes may be highly unlikely because they don't currently exist; they are purely hypothetical - a matter of complete speculation.

That's pop TV for ya. Welcome to the 21st century. I weep for the future.

P.S. you mean 'incredible'. 'Incredulous' is a human reaction.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook