Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Traveling Fast and Infinite Mass

1. Aug 14, 2005 #1
    Now somewhat near the end of Hyperspace, It spoke of blackholes and how light can't escape. Doesn't that mean that if we wanted to use blackholes for transportation then we would have to go faster than the speed of light?
    Which I've read many times is impossible because you would obtain infinite mass. I had a strange thought to, In Hyperspace it said to imagine a subway train that would go near the speed of light, it would get squished up and distorted and then expand to fill up the station when stopped. Doesn't Time Slow down when you go that fast? So say you take a 2 minute train ride, wouldnt that be alot longer off of the train?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 14, 2005 #2

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

The solution of Einstein's equations for the case of a rotating black hole suggests that it might contain inside it a sort of wormhole to "somewhere else", but the solution doesn't say where. To use it (and this is generally held to be impossible by most physicsts) you first fall into the black hole, somehow avoiding the tidal forces that will tear you apart, then enter the mouth of the tunnel, traverse it, and come out wherever it goes. Whether that is inside another black hole or not is not said. Generally nobody except maybe Kaku thinks this would ever be possible even in principle.

4. Aug 14, 2005 #3
    Well before we Find a way to traverse blackholes we should find a way to build colonies in space so we can take an entire city of people because do to the time dialtion everyone you know that hasn't gone through the black hole would die because and hour of black hole travel would be like forever on earth am i correct?

5. Aug 14, 2005 #4

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Yes, seen from far away, the time to fall into a black hole would take literally forever. But to the people falling, it would happen fast. This is according to the usual accepted understanding of black holes.

6. Aug 17, 2005 #5
    Really? I happen to remember several physicists working on such ideas, including traversable wormholes by Kip Thorne and spinning black hole rings by Roy Kerr. Black Holes & Time Warps by Kip Thorne even goes into detail on how something like this could be accomplished.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?