1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Traveling Physics Problem

1. Sep 26, 2008 #1
    A car travels due east with a speed of 35.0 km/h. Raindrops are falling at a constant speed vertically with respect to the Earth. The traces of the rain on the side windows of the car make an angle of 55.0° with the vertical. Find the velocity of the rain with respect to the following reference frames.

1. the car : ___m/s
    2. the Earth: ___m/s

I don't know how to solve this problem. I am bad at physics and I can't find any formulas to save me. If some could help walk me through it, help me, or point me in the right direction, that'd be great. Thanks.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2008 #2
    first need to convert units from km/h to m/s. Then it is all trigonometry. Draw yourself a diagram and label you knowns and unknowns. Post what you come up with.
  4. Sep 26, 2008 #3
    Ok, I converted 35km/h to m/s and I got 9.72222223. And I know the angle is 55 degrees. So, if I draw a triangle, I would label the angle between the hypotnues and adjacent 55 right?
    I'm not sure what I am really supposed to draw or how I can convert 9.72222223 into the velocities I need.
  5. Sep 26, 2008 #4
    Like, what formulas do I use to find the velocity in this problem?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?