Is Faster-Than-Light Travel Possible for Interplanetary Journeys?

• Thread starter TomMac321
  • Start date
In summary, Tom seems to be doing research into physics and has difficulty with spelling. His teacher is a textbook guy and does not provide much help. Tom is interested in the possibility of traveling to other solar systems, but is doubtful that it is possible due to the enormous energy requirements. He also mentions the possibility of traveling faster than the speed of light but warns that this would cause unimaginable pain and death.
TomMac321
you will have to excuse my spelliing I am 14 and am dislecsic but frome what i understand so was Einstein. '

i have been doing indipendent reserch in the phisics area. and my phisics teacher hasent been much help he is a real textbook guy

i no there are lots of there's on traveling to far away galicsys. and i am wondering if enyone knows if you could travil faser that the speed of light or even faster than that to make it posible to travil bitween planits i have already been looking at the wormhole there bt even antmatter couldent perduse anuf negitive energy to keep it stable and that's just if it exsists i the tere of binding space looks interesting but some pinsilpushing @$$ my schoolse sci department told me that would be inposible if anyone has any other there's or anything that could help shed light on this that would be grate

Astronomy news on Phys.org
There is no way to travel faster than the speed of light and stay in this time-space continuum. Period. That said, starting I believe with Dirac there have been a number of theories on how to warp space time, or to sequester a ship outside space time in it's own little bubble for instance. But while the math may work a quick look at the numbers shows that you get nothing for free. In fact the energy requirements for most of them are simply monstrous. And even if we could create and contain that much energy, we still have no idea how to engineer the machinery to channel and control it.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but unless you are talking just about the theoretical or science fiction realms the only way we actually know to get to any other solar system, let alone galaxy would be by building generation ships. And it's likely to stay that way until some smart cookie comes up with a better method of propulsion than chucking your fuel overboard.

ok so as far ass travil at the spped of light gose that's a no and even if you could i have been thinking and your mass would prob increse resolting in painful and comfusing death but say the worhole there was true you wouldent actualy any faster just the distance you have to travi would change

1 do worholes exsist / oveusly an apinon question

2 is there a way to keep it stable

3 is there any other gusesis as to how to travil among the stars

space travil

say the worhole there was true you wouldent actualy any faster just the distance you have to travi would change

wurmholes

ok so as far as travil at the speed of light gose that's a no and even if you could i have been thinking and your mass would prob increse resolting in painful and comfusing death but say the worhole there was true you wouldent actualy any faster just the distance you have to travi would change

First, you should check the spelling.

im 14 and dislecsic i can't spell vary good

Welcome to the forums, Tom. Whilst it is possible to make out what you are trying to say, it is very difficult to read. I understand that spelling is not everyone's strong point, but you should get into the habit of trying your hardest to be comprehensible.

Perhaps you could download the web-browser Mozilla Firefox. It's free, and contains a built in spell checker.

As for your questions, they are rather speculative, especially the last one, which is pretty impossible to answer! Wormholes are theoretical objects that do crop up in some spacetimes of general relativity, but one cannot say whether they exist in nature or not.

TomMac321 said:
im 14 and dislecsic i can't spell vary good

Hey that's cool and all. My chemistry teacher is dyslexic. Firefox does help i has a built in feature like some one said i forgot who.

As far as my ideas on the topic. In my heart and the back of my brain i constantly want to beak the limit of light speed. But so far i will have to accept the theory because i do not have a better one to input. But i will tell you one thing. Don't ever accept a theory to be true. To many people assume theory's to be true and this will be the downfall of physics. I'm not saying oh Newton is totally wrong or any other theory. But I encourage you to explore these ideas even more, test them try them. Theory's are just that theories. You have to test them constantly for them to be true. Sorry for the blabbering. Any ways my ideas on these topics.

1. Achieving speed of light is possible to me. No mass is pure energy. Mass is energy. Keeping energy in an intelligent life form is the problem. Solve that and you win. But cool thing about this idea is. Not only time would stop. But the world would be a totally new one where velocity doesent matter. No time no velocity.

2. Antimatter exits. It is constantly being made in the vacuum and then being destroyed. This is because you may not notice it but it always pops in and out of pairs. Always comes with one anti particle and one particle. Then before you realize it its gone. But where did all the antimatter go that corresponds with all the matter in the universe? I leave on that quote. I hope you didn't mind me talking.

-Justin

Hi Chris nice to meet you I'm Justin,

Who are these "people"? If you mean "physicists", then I can only remark that you appear to have no idea what you are talking about.

By people i mean physicists and by physicists i mean ANY physicists, i think Chris you can agree absolutely that people are wrong. Theory's have been accepted that are wrong. Throughout history. I think it is narrow minded for someone to accept someone else's idea without testing it. And by the "downfall of physics" i should be more specific. I am talking about the new theory's. Ones above and beyond classical mathematics. This of course is my personal opinion but I am sure you knew that.

What you listed would be better described as opinions unsupported by theoretical argument or experimental evidence.

Yes i will especially for number 1. But i have to disagree with my number two. If you search antimatter particle pair. Or Casimir effect. To say number two is "unsupported by theoretical argument or experimental evidence.
" that's wrong.

Given that this is PF, you should expect some of us to ask that you try to stick a bit closer to physics here. There are plenty of forums which encourage unbridled speculations.

I understand this, i seriously thought i was talking about physics for most of my post. Hmm maybe not. But there are also forums around the world that can teach dyslexic people how to improve their habits, no offese to you Tom. But i will stick to physics MORE in the future. Thanks.

Just trying to elaborate on what i said for ya' Chris.

Last edited:
I fully understand. I am being a little misunderstood. I simply was saying antimatter exists. I had a major headache from practice when i wrote this. I probably messed up. And sarcasm is hard to understand over the internet. So i hope Chris didn't take it the wrong way.

wysard said:
Physics is a reminder that the devil is in the details...
I like that phrase. A sobering counterpoint to the "anything is possible don't believe scientists" philosophy that often pervades woo-woo-ist speculation.*

* not meant to reflect upon this threead at all, just, I like that comment.

DaveC426913 said:
I like that phrase. A sobering counterpoint to the "anything is possible don't believe scientists" philosophy that often pervades woo-woo-ist speculation.*
QUOTE]

Dave: When my Dad worked as an in-house physicist for GE building the first MRI and CANDU reactor he used to tell me that any idiot could do arithmatic, but doing actual Math was hard. One of his favourite amorphisms was that while nothing is actually impossible, the odds of actually doing so were finite, but large. (Sorry, math joke.)

Needless to say, bridging the gulf between what is possible and what is achievable can sometimes be like getting the home football teams cheerleaders to get psyched up for a four hour road trip with the geek squad.

1. How do we travel to other worlds?

At this time, traveling to other worlds is not possible due to limitations in technology and our understanding of the universe. However, scientists are constantly researching and developing new technologies that may one day make space travel a reality.

2. Can we travel to other worlds in our solar system?

Yes, we have already sent spacecraft to explore other worlds in our solar system such as Mars, Venus, and Saturn. However, manned missions to these planets are not currently feasible due to the extreme conditions and long distances.

3. Is it possible to travel to other worlds outside of our solar system?

While we have not yet developed the technology to travel to other stars and their planetary systems, scientists are actively studying and researching methods for interstellar travel. It may take many years, or even centuries, before we are able to achieve this feat.

4. What are the challenges of traveling to other worlds?

One of the biggest challenges of traveling to other worlds is the vast distances and the time it takes to reach them. Additionally, the extreme conditions and lack of resources on these worlds make it difficult for humans to survive and explore. Another challenge is the potential health risks associated with long-term space travel, such as exposure to radiation.

5. Will we ever be able to colonize other worlds?

While it is possible that humans may one day establish colonies on other worlds, it is not currently feasible. The technology and resources required for such a feat are still beyond our reach. Additionally, ethical and environmental considerations must be taken into account before any attempts at colonization can be made.