Traveling Wavefunction: Differentiating & Relating $\Psi$

In summary, the conversation is discussing the differentiation of the function \Psi(x-ut,t) with respect to time and space, and how it relates to the Schrödinger equation. The equations presented show the relationship between \Psi(x,t) and \Psi(x-ut,t), with the correction that u = \omega/k. There is also a caution to be careful when taking the partial derivative with respect to time, treating x as a constant.
Spylock
Homework Statement
Hi, I want to check how to show ##\Phi(x,t)## is a solution to TDSE given that ##\Psi(x,t)## is a solution to TDSE. Note that there is no potential.
Relevant Equations
$$\Phi(x,t)=\Psi(x-ut,t)e^{i(k(x-\omega t)}$$
I am not sure whether I have differentiated correctly
$$\frac{\partial\Psi(x-ut,t)}{\partial t}=-u\frac{\partial\Psi(x-ut,t)}{\partial(x-ut)}+\frac{\partial\Psi(x-ut,t)}{\partial t}$$

and
$$\frac{\partial^2\Psi(x-ut,t)}{\partial x^2}=\frac{\partial^2\Psi(x-ut,t)}{\partial(x-ut)^2}$$

So, we have
$$\frac{\partial\Phi(x,t)}{\partial t}=\frac{\partial\Psi(x-ut,t)}{\partial t}e^{i(kx-\omega t)}-i\omega\Psi(x-ut,t)e^{i(kx-\omega t)}$$
$$\frac{\partial^2\Phi(x,t)}{\partial x^2}=\frac{\partial^2\Psi(x-ut,t)}{\partial x^2}e^{i(kx-\omega t)}-k^2\Psi(x-ut,t)e^{i(kx-\omega t)}+2ik\Psi(x-ut,t)e^{i(kx-\omega t}$$

Also, how do I relate \Psi(x,t) with \Psi(x-ut,t) given that
$$i\hbar\frac{\partial\Psi(x,t)}{\partial t}=-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{\partial^2\Psi(x,t)}{\partial x^2}$$

Thank you for advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your equation needs to read: ## \frac{d \Psi(y,t)}{dt}=(\frac{\partial{\Psi(y,t)}}{\partial{y}})_t(\frac{\partial{y}}{\partial{t}})_x+(\frac{\partial{\Psi(y,t)}}{\partial{t}})_y ##, where ## y=x-ut ##.
Also, in the first line, your exponent needs to read ## kx-\omega t ##. (You have a parenthesis in the wrong place). ## u=\frac{\omega}{k} ##.
With the corrections I gave you above, you should be able to finish it up.

Also, be careful when taking ## (\frac{\partial{\Phi(x,t)}}{\partial{t}})_x ##. It basically means taking ## \frac{d}{dt} ## of ## \Psi(x-ut)e^{i(kx-\omega t)} ##, but treating ## x ## as a constant.

1. What is a traveling wavefunction?

A traveling wavefunction is a mathematical representation of a particle's position and momentum as it moves through space. It is a solution to the Schrödinger equation in quantum mechanics and describes the probability amplitude of finding a particle at a certain position and time.

2. How is a traveling wavefunction different from a stationary wavefunction?

A stationary wavefunction is a solution to the Schrödinger equation that does not change with time, while a traveling wavefunction describes a particle in motion. The amplitude of a stationary wavefunction is constant, while the amplitude of a traveling wavefunction changes as the particle moves through space.

3. Can a traveling wavefunction be used to determine the exact position of a particle?

No, a traveling wavefunction only describes the probability of finding a particle at a certain position. The position of a particle can only be determined through a measurement, and even then, it is subject to the uncertainty principle in quantum mechanics.

4. How is the traveling wavefunction related to the concept of superposition?

The traveling wavefunction describes the superposition of a particle's position and momentum states. This means that a particle can exist in multiple positions and momentums simultaneously, with each state having a certain probability amplitude determined by the traveling wavefunction.

5. What is the significance of differentiating and relating the traveling wavefunction?

Differentiating and relating the traveling wavefunction allows us to determine the rate of change of a particle's position and momentum, as well as the relationship between the two. This is important in understanding the behavior of particles in quantum systems and predicting their future states.